Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 440 skidder shuddering and clicking

frozendozer ยท 2019-03-14 13:08

I am kinda new to operating a skidder in the Bush. I have this old John Deere 440 line skidder with a PowerShift transmission. For the longest time it worked great then suddenly it has no Pulling power. It shudders when in reverse when in the Bush and if I am in a tight spot I can hear clicking coming from the rear end. What do you think I BROKE?

Replies4
  1. #1greggagne2019-03-14 15:30

    on john deere skidders there is a differential lock that can be engaged that will cause a grinding type noise when turning. on the older skidders I think the pedal was on the left kind of back by the seat where you kick it with your boot heel to engage it.

  2. #2mg23612019-03-15 05:50

    Even a powershift has a clutch. Clutch adjustment?

  3. #3Beave2019-03-22 11:27

    What model 440 is it. A B etc. I grew up in a 440c. Different generations have their own quirks. Little more info and maybe i can help

  4. #4Delmer2019-03-22 12:17

    in addition to which model it is, how about a little more description of each of the problems, they might not all be the same issue. No pulling power: is this all forward gears? does the engine slow down as the machine slows down, or is the transmission slipping? Do you have a tachometer to tell for sure? shuddering in reverse in the bush: Is this just when you start out in reverse? the whole time? Is this just when you're turning in reverse? Clicking in a tight spot: again, is this just when you're turning sharp? inching around an obstacle?