I bought a little JD 440A skidder for my girlfriend but it had some issues. After repairing the leaks on the transmission and changing the fluid, the blade will not come up and the steering doesn't work. I understand that it needs to be bled and I have found a bleeder on the steering valve and have tried different procedures to no avail. The book that came with it doesn't have that section in it. I will get another book soon, but I would to get it going now. I thought I would see if anybody here has any ideas Thank you. :usa
We have a 1979 JD 640 cable skidder. The fluid and filter has been changed many times without bleeding the system. Somethings to check might be the lever that puts the pump in and out of gear. What comes out when you open the bleeder, any air or oil? I'm sure you've checked this many times already, but is there enough fluid in the transmission? Did it work alright before you dropped the fluid?
Slasher, when I first opened the bleeder I got some air when I tried to turn the steering wheel, then oil. I thought that was going to do it, but when I closed it still nothing. It did work before the transmission work. I don't think it has a lever to disengage the pump but I will check that out. Oil level is good. Thanks for the ideas.
Try a little air pressure on the trans. The pump may have lost it's prime and is worn enough that it can't pick up the oil.
A hydraulic system does not need to be "bled". Your hyd pump has failed or it is not turning. Maybe a broken coupler.
On our 640, the lever is in the cab, I'm not sure which side, but its kinda under the dash a bit, just a steel lever, I thinks it has to be down to be working. Something else I might check is if theres oil at the pump, by pulling off the intake hose to the pump. It sounds, if theres oil coming out of the bleeder, that the pump must have been pumping. Like BDFT said, I wouldn't think it would have to be bled, as long as oil was getting to the pump, the air will work out of it when it returns. We have also had coupler break between the pump and the engine. Sure hope its not a pump.It just seems funny for it to be working fine before the work was done and now nothing. Let us know how your making out.
On my 440a skidder there is a lever on the left side that disables hydraulics for easier starting. This is my first post and I cannot start a new thread until I have made 3 replies. My skidder won't start not even the solenoid clicking. Batteries are fully charged. Cable connections are tight. I shorted switch and nothing. The powermatic shifter is very loose and has to be wiggled to get it to engage. The last time I used it this was noticeably worse. Is there a neutral lockout preventing engine from starting? How do I adjust shifter?
there is a safety switch on the clutch pedel...... make sure the wire has not come unpluged fron the switch. I dont recall any switchs in the shifting linkage.
stan in indiana- I'm pretty sure there is a safety on the shifting linkage on ours. I'm almost positive it has to be in neutral to be started. Now our machine is a 79 and we bought it new, just in case they may have changed things with the different years. I would thing, it would start if you crossed the solenoid, even if it was in gear, this is how people get run over with their own machines. If you have not tried crossing it yet, BE VERY CAREFUL if you cross it, it will start in gear and run over you. I think there is two places to cross them too. One being on the starter, and another solenoid up farther,I'm just not sure right where it is, is been a while sence I've worked on it. As far as adjusting the linkage, its something I've never had to do on it, so I'm not sure what to tell ya there. Anyway, good luck, be careful,and let us know how you make out.
I appreciate the tips. I finally got it to start by beating the starter with a hammer. What caught me off guard was the solenoid wasn't even clicking. One of the brushes was completely worn down yet the other three look fine. I am replacing solenoid and brushes and cleaning much "dirt" out of starter. I worry why that one brush was worn completely away. Thanks again, Stan
If you're going to replace solenoid and brushes, replace the brush holder as well stan.
third post should enable me to start new thread on buying a IH175c. Wondering how much it is worth. It is in excellent cond. for its age. I know the owner and he is reputable. Local so no transportation cost. Needs solenoid. I hope to find winch as my 440a is giving me headaches(literally I rolled it, no brakes when engine died) because of hydraulic problem although I replaced the can in the dash that is supposed to save pressure for brake application. Not sure of spring and ball bearing config. in check valve setup. any info appreciated.