Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 444 Won’t move forward/reverse for 20 minutes Then runs like new

Will Cat · 2025-03-01 14:43

My JD 444c, 198? , VIN #311765T, won't move forward or reverse when started. Then after about 20 minutes it will move a couple of fet forward, then in reverse. A little later, it strains to move forward but I push it at high RPMs run it about 100yards out then back. I do it again. It slowly comes to life and eventually, runs like its NEW! The Bucket and boom works great from the start. I can turn the front left and right without any problems right from the startup. Any ideas why it won't move without rev-ing the engine and shifting back and forth fro forward to reverse for the first 20 minutes? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-03-01 22:52

    What‘s the transmission pressure gauge reading when having difficulty to get machine moving ?

  2. #2Coaldust2025-03-02 01:08

    I graduated from grade 8 in 87. It takes me about 20 minutes of straining to get moving in the morning. Let me know what you find. Keep us posted.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-03-02 03:32

    Is the trans. oil full and when was the filter last changed? It sounds like the trans. pump is struggling when the oil is cold.