Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450

kawfarmer1977 ยท 2021-10-29 08:08

Hello, I am trying to adjust the brake / clutch on a John deere 450 dozer. I recently replaced the brake band because it was worn out on the RH side. Now I can't seem to get the adjustment right. It seems like the Clutch disengages at the same time that the brake applies. I get kind of a chattering sound when it goes from clutch to braking. There is no "feathering" when you turn, its very jerky. LH side works normal. Also the brake band needs tightened tighter than the book, to make it turn. I have adjusted the clutch and the brakes by the JD service manual. I'm thinking that I have another problem, I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612021-10-30 04:53

    Welcome to HEF kawfarmer ! A straight 450? Did you do any repairs or inspection of the steering clutch? Check steering clutch pressure plate finger height adjustment? Make sure all the linkage was free and not binding? Any oil leak into the clutches? Rust?

  2. #2kawfarmer19772021-11-01 08:01

    Yes it is a straight 450. I have not done any work to the steering clutch, other than free travel adjustment. I did look over my linkages, everything is free. No oil leaking in clutches, Rust doesnt seem excessive. Would the clutch have to be out of the machine to check the finger height?

  3. #3fast_st2021-11-01 09:20

    older 450: should be able to back off the brake engagement a couple turns, let the clutch lead the brake. Remove seat and remove covers, There is an adjustment and you should be able to see the fingers down the inspection hole. I think the call is for 1/2 inch of lever travel before the fingers engage, I put a block under my levers and adjusted the fingers until they touched.

  4. #4kawfarmer19772021-11-02 13:23

    Is it possible that my seals are bad in my power steering cyc, thus causing not enough travel to my clutch/brake?

  5. #5fast_st2021-11-02 19:11

    What year is this dozer? Serial number? Should be between 1965 and 1970 and I think its all mechanical

  6. #6kawfarmer19772021-11-03 07:24

    It has a pump and cyc on the linkages. After some more testing I think that my clutch is not disengaging fully, and is still trying to pull. I adjusted some more free travel out, to get a little more "travel" on my disengagment. It is sort of working, and maybe I can use it some and it will shine up the plates and maybe quit trying to pull when disengaged? I really appreciate the input so far, Thank you.