Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450 C starting problems

jdlogger ยท 2008-05-23 21:50

First timer here. Does any one have any knowledge of the neutral start switch on a 450 c? I cant afford to have a service tech come out. My manuel says to shim the neutral start sensor out to the maximum. And that is all it says. It has been acting up for a couple weeks and now it wont start. I suspect the switch is the problem because if you move from low to neutral it trys to start. Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks Greg

Replies19
  1. #1RonG2008-05-24 04:02

    I would look for it in the shift tower....it's been a while but that is where I would start my search.I think it just grounds the start solenoid which you could do externally to get it started.Ron G

  2. #2srs_mn2008-05-24 11:26

    The switch is located on the left side of the transmission... it will have a wire(s) connected to it... you have to remove the floorboard to get at it. The tech-manual says to " Install maximum number of shims under the neutral start switch which will permit operating the starter with the reverser lever locked in its neutral position (between high and reverse)." In my experience it is sometimes tedious and frustrating to get it adjusted just right after the linkage gets worn... I had a 450C that I never got adjusted like the book says; instead I had to wiggle the shift lever to find the 'sweet spot' where it would start... after a while I got so used to doing that I didn't even think about it until somebody else would jump on it and try to start it and cuss and yell about it not starting. Although it is very tempting to just bypass the switch, it is a very bad idea, as people have been killed as a result of doing that. srs_mn

  3. #3jdlogger2008-05-24 13:57

    Thanks for the info . This morning I ran all the tests with a volt meter. and narrowed it down to the starter motor. I pulled the starter and took it in to the JD dealer for testing.The first time they hit the switch there was nothing but then it spun every time. He said it sounded dry and probably had a dead spot. I can get a new one Tuesday for $460. Thinking about tearing into it since there is no core credit. From the looks of the manual there aint much I can do unless its just a bad wire or short.

  4. #4jdlogger2008-05-24 14:04

    Any one know the average life expectancy of a starter. The hour meter reads 2900 but who knows if that is correct. It appears to be the original starter. Thanks Greg

  5. #5RonG2008-05-24 15:43

    I don't think I ever ran one that I didn't have to jiggle to get the starter to work.As you said,it becomes habit and you don't think about it.Ron G

  6. #6jdlogger2008-05-24 16:25

    I know about having to wiggle the shifter. I have owned this machine for about 1 year and it would usually start without the wiggle. Luckily it started on last time so I could raise the bucket to work on it. I just opened up the starter and it is very oily and also rusty inside. It appears someone has been in there before.

  7. #7jdlogger2008-05-24 21:47

    why does it seem that I have been cut off? did i do something wrong?

  8. #8PD Mech Steve2008-05-25 12:32

    jdlogger: You probably have a local starter/alternator rebuild shop available. You may want to hand it over to them. Although not real complicated, they can test the armature for dead spots and clean up the commutator on a lathe. I have re-man starters available if you decide to go that route. Many other parts as well. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. Steve.

  9. #9danielm2008-06-09 09:55

    Starters are pretty simple devices. Most failures I see are worn brushes and solenoid contacts. Cheap fix if the parts are available. Seek out a rebuilder in your area. It runs around $125 to have one completly redone here. BTW, Keep those frame to bell housing bolts tight on that 450. The have a tendency to work loose and shear off in the housing. Not a fun job to extract.

  10. #10chuckalan2008-08-22 10:55

    chuckalan If you need a quick fix, just bypass the switch and get it running... just becareful... it will now start in gear... but temp fix is just what it is... temp fix... safety first!

  11. #11Deere450c2008-09-29 00:06

    My 450c will sit for periods of time and I have found the plug contacts on the back of the start button will get dirty and need cleaning. Like most other 450c's mine needs the occational shifter wiggle to get the safety switch to make. tim

  12. #12TNHillbilly2008-10-16 10:47

    Hello all :usa. I just obtained a jd 555a highlift that has a problem with starting. The nuetral start switch was bad but the new one didn't solve the problem. When I push the starter button I can hear the starter relay clicking. I have been jumping the starter posts what few times I have started the machine. I am in the process of trying to find an owners manual for the machine since one did not come with it. I had a service manual printed but it doesn't seem to give very basic info that an operators manual would. I don't want to hi-jack this thread so I will hold off on my direct questions till I have new thread posting privliges....Again, Hello to everyone!

  13. #13rhussak2009-03-25 17:06

    I also have a 450 C. Had starting trouble. You can test the starter using a screwdriver. I found my problem to be the harness connection under the dash. Took me a while also. Replaced the starter switch, the neutral start switch etc. The harness would sometimes connect, sometimes not. Took a while to figure it out. Easy fix, clean the harness terminal

  14. #14OneWelder2009-03-25 18:27

    HillBilly If the starter is clicking the neutral start switch is ok From what little you said i would guess it is time to test starter

  15. #15TNHillbilly2009-03-27 08:22

    The starter always spins but most of the time it will just not engage the starter into the fly wheel. I have been crossing it out with a screwdriver..haha..I KNOW!!!...My dad rolls his eyes everytime I go to start the machine... ...

  16. #16bobsmith2009-04-08 00:42

    TNHillbilly Where did you get your service manual printed from? I have a JD 555G that I'm needing a service manual for and can't seem to find one. I did see a Operators manual listed on e-bay for 20 bucks, You may want to check there.

  17. #17stumpjumper832009-04-08 06:57

    bobsmith, deere had a service manual for my 450c on cd for like just under $100 with shipping. I have seen some paper ones on e-bay for like $85, but you don't know how many greasy fingered mechanics looked thruy them...

  18. #18bentwrench222009-05-20 01:34

    TNHILLBILLY your problem sounds like starter drive is broken ,,if it spins but wont engauage clutch in drive broken easy fix with starter out of tractor

  19. #19Greg2009-05-31 12:09

    Spins but won't kick in could also be problem in the solenoid also. If they sit for a long period of time it can form moisture fron condensation and seize up. Had that happen here. All the other stories about wiggling the shift lever are true too.