Can anyone tell me why the difference in prices for the same model track type loaders when the only difference is LPG or Diesel????? I see many loaders that fit into my price range and many of them are 70% undercarriage or better but the loader will sell usually for as much as 10,000 to 20,000 usd cheaper. the model that I am refering to is the Cat 953B thanks in advance for any advice
Monte...I'm struggling, help me out (it doesn't take much) Do you mean LGP as is Low Ground Pressure...like this one: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?ohid=6092596 or do you mean LPG as for Liquefied Petroleum Gas. Just to get me straight?
I do belive he's talkin bout the liquified petrolium gas. I'd say the loader costs more because of R&D, added safety features for that particular fuel (anyone say boom?), can't realy think of anything else right now.
Yes I was refering to liquified pertrolium gas, and it was my observation that LP dozers are generally cheaper then the diesel units. Bear: my question for you.....if it is so unsafe then why the heck do they make so many of them? ( with all due respect to you as an expert), but this will be my first purchase of a track loader for farm use purposes. My experience is all with diesel engines and I know very little about LP engines.........sorry. the big problem here is limited resources for purchasing.. If it is the general concenses that it would be better to wait a little longer and save a tad more, then that is what I'll do. Are the LP engines lacking in HP or do they compare to diesel fairly close? Thanks
Is there a website to where you see these loaders at? I have never heard of one that has a lpg engine. I think they mean low ground pressure, but if they make loaders with lpg engines I would like to see one.
Same here, I have never heard of an LPG fueled 953B.:beatsme
I guess I should have looked at the loader a little closer guys, sorry!!! it does say LGP I guess it is just my novice oversight. But my question still stands........why is it that these (LGP) loaders seem to sell cheaper? case in point may I suggest that readers of this thread Look up Fabco.com and see the loaders listed there and as well as Ziegler Cat.
I see people listing dozers with lpg tracks all the time but I dont think any of them run on propane. Furthermore if you are looking at a propane burner the engine would be the same as a gas one.
LGP Track Loaders Monte, The reason they are cheaper is their limited application. A drott/dozer with normal track plates can excavate,push,travel more efficiently in more applications than an LGP equipped unit. LGP units are excellent in muddy or unstable areas....but that's about the limit to their ability. Yes...you see LGP units running around doing work in "normal" conditions,but the wear factor on those plates/chains goes up considerably.It's very frustrating trying to make an LGP machine dig or push a stump over. I worked alongside a D65 swampie which was pushing & layering broken concrete....you could hear the tracks groaning all day.Only a rich company can do that! I had a small Mitsubishi swampie that could almost walk on water...it was great until you put in into a normal jobsite.
No expert but the stuff is very volatile, espsecially in relation to diesel. But it be a moot point now.
He's talking gas not tracks.
I thought I had been around awhile but I must confess, I've never seen or heard of either a gas engined track loader, especially a 953 Cat, or a low ground pressure track loader. I can look around in some of my old cabinets and maybe find a muffler bearing or two.
Swampie Loader Here's one....a project of mine. When it's restored,I'll fit normal grousers.
To stay on the side track (somewhat) Diesel Gas(LPG) conversions are becoming very popular Down Under with some mixed results: http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/ LPG, or in our case CNG (natural) is in abundance in Australia....thats why we sell it all to China and Japan but there is no auotomotive fuel excise on LPG. Consequently LPG conversions are popular because LPG retails for less than half the price of ULP (gasoline) at the moment. A number of manufacturers have released factory LPG vehicles...including Ford Australia. Diesel Gas is proving popular with RV's, 4x4s etc and seems to be getting good results. The Long Distance haulage industry has been quick to grab diesel gas conversions but results have been mixed with many horror stories (burnt valves etc) emerging.....just like when LPG conversions were first attempted on gasoline engines here some 25 years ago. I imagine they will get it sorted sooner rather than later. Its unlikely LPG will be used in earthmoving soon but more constant speed engines, like in excavators, may be the first we will see. The fact that a Diesel/Gas engine has cleaner emissions will not be lost on the manu'fs. Despite over 2.7 million vehicles being registered with LPG in Australia not one of them has "exploded" or the like in an accident...due to the fact the LPG tanks are very heavily regulated and are, by design, much safer than a normal tank full of gasoline. I know this is true because I've seen the Hollywood movies where all your american cars just blow up at the first sign of trouble or a stray bullet
So long as we´re off track here.....LPG or propane is very safe. Fire academies have training drills where a fire is lit under a bulk storage tank (1,000 gallon). When the propane boils and the relief valve gives way, the gas catches fire and shoots a huge flame toward the sky....think of the biggest bunson burner ever created. You wouldn´t want to use propane in below grade applications because it is heavier than air and will collect at the bottom of the hole. The risks are suffocation because of the displaced oxygen and of coarse, ignition. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :drinkup
Cummins & Cat both experimented with CNG in Trucks a few years ago. I think when govt support stopped they did to.
Squizzy: What turned out to be a misguided question has turned into a quite meaningfull explanation of things and the why's and what if of certain things, To clear things up guys I was originally talking about LPG as a fuel source for track loaders only to disscover that LPG was really turned around and I should have meant LGP. There were two very good questions answered here today for me. Squizzy I will look into the dieselgasaustralia link further, I am very intrigued by the possibillities and as a farmer I am always looking for ways to control input costs........Maybe a few other applications as well.....(my mind is racing with possibilities). As for the answer in regards to the LGP tracks.....hey guys you helped a lot! I hope to be able to use my future loader on the farm mostly in firm to dry dirt and when I venture out to the woods, it may be used with a little more caution so as to not get hung up out there.. I would be very interested in talking here with you all about the kinds of strains and etc that may be inflicted onto a drive train with the LGP tracks. I am a Machinist by training and operating a dairy so I do know and understand many things metal, I just may need to be pointed in the right direction.
Superior American bullet design I think?!?:usa
:laugh That is funny truth be told. Back when I was wearing Marine green, some nights we'd take tracer ammo a bunch of gallon jugs with about a half inch of gasoline in them to the range with a chemlight taped to the back and shoot them. nice puff of fire when those go up. I miss incendiary ammo
Me thinks the reason for American cars blowing up with the first sign of trouble is two fold. First........yes I do agree!!!!!superior American bullet design yes!!!! and lets not forget many of those cars with American names on them are made largely by overseas outsourced companies :beatsme maybe an attempt at takeover???? lol My wife is filippino and she made the comment one time when she first arrived in the states.........Why is it that America is Made in China???? when she saw all the goods sold here with that Made in China emblem on them. I guess one of the reason I intend to Go with Cat as a loader.......if I am not mistaken....aren't they at least still built in the Good ol'e USA? I myself may not have been in the Marines,,,nor was my father, (he was USN MCB9 1958-62) but God Bless America anyway!!!! :usa