Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 450 c steering problem

wannabe ยท 2012-09-11 21:16

I need some advice, I rebuilt the left final drive on this machine ,and now I have very little steering on that side . I was very careful ,not to change any adjustment on the brake .It was working fine before the final gave up,so it has to be something I have out of adjustment any advice would be helpful, thank you:Banghead

Replies5
  1. #1wosama931b2012-09-13 19:00

    Hi, wannabe, I'am not a john deere mec. , but i have worked on my clutches, fount a lot of loose bolts, i mean with the brackets, also leavers and rod connectors, sometime that can lead to slack in the system, Good luck, wosama931b.

  2. #2wannabe2012-09-13 21:18

    thank you wosama, I found the problem, there is a band around the clutch drum and I had the pawl flipped over backwards . of course I had to remove the battery box and cover to get to the clutches, got it back together about four hours later and adjusted back up, started to get it dirty,after about two hours it was still holding together,things were going well till the track rolled off,time to call it a day .first thing tomorrow I get to play track mechanic.since i have got this machine i have spent more time on the end of wrenches than in the seat. if i didn't love this kind of work,I could say that it's color is john deere lemon yellow

  3. #3Greg2012-09-22 22:59

    My experience with 450C's is they are like an F16 fighter. Run them two hours, work on six and about as rotten of a little bitch to work on as an F16 too.

  4. #4wannabe2012-09-23 10:06

    you are sooo right greg . this machine has been a challenge from the very beginning. wife is none to happy with me over it, and my uncle just laughs and says I should have bought a backhoe,preferabbly not a john deere.

  5. #5tuney4432012-09-27 05:16

    Once you have it all together correctly and ignore the naysayers,you will have the very best crawler out there apples to apples.Nothing but Deere small crawlers,thousands of trouble-free hours in over 35 years running them.Good luck.