Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450 starter. Need help figuring out the right starter

Cakayaq · 2024-02-28 16:22

I’m working on my dad’s old JD 450 Loader. He passed a couple years ago. He was having it worked on and had someone put a new starter on it. He had had some issues getting it going. Spent lots of time recharging batteries and cranking. Lots of water in the oil from a leak by the exhaust stack. It was never a good crank sound but it ultimately did work. It’s been setting about 6 months. I go back to try to start it and have issues. With two new batteries and a truck on jumper cables I got it going and worked it for a day pushing up some trees that fell. Went back the next day and the starter will not even turn now. Took it out and can spin it by hand but it’s very hard. Also lots of rust in it. So I am trying to figure out which starter to buy for it. I have the numbers off of the current starter but I’m not sure it was the correct one. The old starter is gone. I need help figuring out which starter goes on our loader. JD 450 Track Loader diesel Motor serial # TO4039D354899 Loader serial # 0040391 Current starter that might be wrong Delco-Remy 1107539 1A 29 Thank you for the help.

Replies13
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-02-29 10:22

    Welcome to HEF 450 straight ? Do you have the full machine serial number ? How many bolts on the starter mount?

  2. #2Cakayaq2024-02-29 15:07

    Thanks. To answer you questions. I think it’s just a plain 450. Nothing else is written on the side and the last part of the serial number I posted seems to agree…. If I’m reading it correctly. E7450 0040891. Or maybe it ends 391. Very hard to be sure. 3 bolt ears on the starter.

  3. #3Cakayaq2024-02-29 15:10

    The tags I’ve found. The serial tag is on the “dash”. From what I’ve red it should have been on the wall under the edge of the seat by your right heel but it’s not. There are two old rivet holes so maybe it was moved? Dunno. Other tag on the motor above the starter.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2024-02-29 19:50

    That engine is not the original …you likely figured that out already ! I assume when operating the machine , the starter is on the right hand side ? 12 volt , RH, 3 bolt mount …new starter part # RE70960, reman starter # SE501405

  5. #5Cakayaq2024-02-29 20:01

    @Diesel Dave I had not realized. Your assumptions are correct except… Would a two bolt starter fit in a three bolt starter hole? The one I took off only had two bolt “ears”. I didn’t look to see if a hole in the motor was unused.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-02-29 20:13

    You said 3 bolt ears ! Ill be back shortly.

  7. #7Diesel Dave2024-02-29 20:19

    12V , RH, 2 bolt mount new starter RE62916 ,reman SE501400

  8. #8Cakayaq2024-02-29 20:26

    Aaagh. I did. Sorry it was a typo. Thank you! One last question just for future reference. Any idea what the motor came out of and what year, just in case I need other parts someday. Or does the 2 ear thing mean it’s the original motor?

  9. #9Diesel Dave2024-03-01 00:48

    The original engine would have been a Deere 4202. Likely a few of the original external engine parts would have been swapped from the 4202 to suit the install of the 4039D. The Deere Power systems engine serial # lookup site had no manufactured date for your 4039D and many of the build codes were not listed. You can look up parts for engine model 4039DF001 here , https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/73956 .

  10. #10Cakayaq2024-03-01 04:31

    Thank you man. You are awesome! Starter ordered.

  11. #11Syleng12024-03-01 07:05

    Not even as close as Diesel Dave’s suggestion which I believe is spot on:, But while you’re installing the new starter, double check the cables also. If that ole girl has been sitting as long as you say, those ends and crimps / cables may also be corroded. You may be loosing some of the current to heat from resistance. Bolt on battery ends or crimp eyelets are notoriously known for bad connections. Syleng1

  12. #12Cakayaq2024-03-01 07:41

    Thank you. I will double check to make sure I didn’t miss any. I cleaned up some as well as the two ground connections in the battery compartment.

  13. #13Syleng12024-03-02 08:20

    In all my years doing this stuff for a living: I am amazed how starting with the basics always either shows the problem or stops the correction from recreating the problem. I’ve been on many jobs where the owner of a machine installs a new starter and 3 weeks later it quits. They blame the starter but it is actually an unseen dirty connection limiting the starters ability to do its job. Todays new parts are so cheaply built that they can’t handle any hick ups and burn up way easier. Starters and alternators are a perfect example of this. The newer replacement starters are built to spin faster and work great but the old - full of copper starters could be rebuilt 100 times before replacement. Alternators - same thing. Original alternators from the 70’s were rated at 45amps but would output at 45 all day long. Newer replacement alternators are wound with thinner wire and have almost double output but the duty cycle is like measured in minutes. Anyhow- sorry to bore you with this. Just trying to share more info. As you can tell: there are guys like me with info and stories on here and then there are guys that could write the book on repairs on here. Good luck! Syleng1