Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 450c

94cummins12v ยท 2019-01-20 17:45

Hey guys I have a dozer on helping a freind try to move to his new house and it has some issues. It's a john deere 450c and I cant figure out how to start this this. I replaced the starter because the previous owner burned it up. I put a new starter in it and when I manual jump the starter I can get it to hit the ring gear but acts like the dozer is in gear. I push the pedal on the left all the way to the floor and same thing. Is there anyone on here familiar with these things?

Replies13
  1. #1Dave Neubert2019-01-21 18:56

    ice in the trans somewhere? It should have a shuttle trans did you put the main in neutral

  2. #294cummins12v2019-01-21 20:58

    It's in neutral and clutch pressed in while cranking. It's been parked in the shop for a couple days. Literally acts as if something is frozen. Probably why the last guy burned up the starter. Was maybe thinking I wasnt doing something correctly

  3. #3Bluox2019-01-21 21:32

    Did you check to see if the motor would turn over? Bob

  4. #494cummins12v2019-01-22 00:03

    Doesnt turn over with a new starter and charged battery. Didnt try to bar it over by hand with the starter out, may have to pull the starter back off and see what it does.

  5. #5Bluox2019-01-22 01:24

    If you still have the old starter check the drive on both starters when you pull the new one. Check # of teeth and diameter of pinion. Been down that road before. Bob

  6. #6Tinkerer2019-01-22 08:28

    I have been down the wrong starter pinion road before. With my situation the previous owner installed the wrong pinon. It was the correct diameter but one tooo many teeth. A very knowledgeable parts man got an OEM starter drive and figured out what happened. I found three broken off armature ends in the bottom of the bell housing when I replaced the ring gear. So, your 450C may have had the wrong drive already. Which means you may be comparing the new one to the burnt up one that was not an OEM equivalent.

  7. #794cummins12v2019-02-04 13:14

    Has absolutely nothing to do with the starter. Pulled the starter off and xant get the engine to spin with a bar on the flywheel. Acts like it's in gear but it's in neutral and pushing the clutch in. I guess it has sat for about 2 years

  8. #8Bluox2019-02-04 13:40

    If the machine is warm enough that ice wont be a cause may be the engine is seized up.Check if the engine will turn in the opposite direction you have been turning. Bob

  9. #994cummins12v2019-02-04 13:56

    Already tried both directions with a 5' prybar on the flywheel. Hasn't been extremely cold this winter but has been cold enough to freeze being in north idaho.

  10. #10Bluox2019-02-04 14:22

    Just saying make sure the machine isn't frozen .If not may as well pull head and see what's up. Bob

  11. #1194cummins12v2019-02-04 14:37

    That's my plan as of right now. I'll be pulling the head this week sometime

  12. #12Vetech632019-02-04 16:34

    I had one years ago that the starter drive gear broke. A piece of it fell into the flywheel and lodged between it and the flywheel housing......had that engine locked up tight! Just a thought

  13. #13Don k2019-02-10 10:41

    Sounds like the engine is froze up to me. Good luck. I had a 450C. Very good machines.