Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450C Slipping?

goldfishranger ยท 2013-06-17 13:48

Newb here just bought a JD 450C dozer. It runs fine at first, but after using it for 20 or 30 minutes it starts acting up. I'll be pushing dirt then all of a sudden it just stops moving. I'll back up and start moving forward again. Eventually it gets to the point when you move the RNLH lever into a gear the tracks just move a inch or so but the dozer wont go anywhere. If i let it sit for a few hours and come back it will drive and push fine. Any advice on what it might be or what to check for would be appreciated. I just ordered the service manual for it today.

Replies3
  1. #1Goatfix2013-07-05 22:10

    Could be caused by a loss of transmission pressure, if it was worn clutch pack it would normally still drive in one direction. From memory the there was a transmission press test point on the transmission under the floor of the operator compartmentor seat, I have a manual buried somewhere, if you still have a problem post a reply and I will see if I can help. Gary

  2. #2PD Mech Steve2013-07-08 16:09

    450c Probably manifold leakage. Very common with the 450's. We've repaired many over the years. A fair bit of work and in some cases a fair bit of money too. Feel free to give us a shout if you need help or parts. Steve. SA Dygert's Construction Parts. F/K/A PD Mechanical........ www.pdmechanical.com

  3. #3black60church2013-07-16 17:23

    check fluid and filter, i always un the 450 a little over full, might need pressure set up on trans