Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450C Steering Brake Adjustment

Dmack ยท 2018-11-28 13:44

I have a JD 450C dozer that has the left steering brake adjustor off. It looks like there is only so may ways it can go on. I have the manuals but the pictures do not show any detail on how to position the "link" that holds the adjustment gear in place. I need so help to get it on correctly. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612018-11-29 05:04

    Tech manual TM1102 Power Train section 40 group 15-1 (pg 237?) Steering Clutch General Information is about as good as it is going to get without an actual photograph from someone out there who is currently working on one. Sorry I have no photo to share.

  2. #2Dmack2018-11-29 08:22

    Yeah, I have the manual and as you said....not a very good picture or description. I am really not wanting to drain the oil, uncouple all the hydraulic lines and pull the tank to look at the other side. Was in the hopes that someone would have one tore down or have pics from when they did! I appreciate the response!

  3. #3Bluox2018-11-29 09:13

    Have someone print you a picture from a parts break down page. Bob

  4. #4Dmack2018-11-29 11:36

    Bob, Unless you know of a different place to get a parts breakdown, I have looked at the parts on JDparts. I have attached the picture from the parts breakdown. The item in question is #18. I know it is used to hold item #4 from turning and is used to auto tighten when the steer lever is pulled back. I know that spring #5 is used to hold tension on it. My dilema is knowing how to position #18 onto shaft #21 in a manner that will keep #4 from backing off and yet allow it to provide adjustment. I don't think it can be that hard, but I have not found the combination that seems to work. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

  5. #5mg23612018-11-30 05:00

    Part #18 has a flat edge that should prevent the wheel #4 from turning counterclockwise and since it is the left side steering clutch it should be on the outside, partially block your view of the wheel when looking in the adjustment hole. Right side would be behind the wheel looking into the hole. The pictures in the manual are showing the right side.

  6. #6Dmack2018-12-02 15:50

    I would like to thank all that responded. I finally got it back together. Just took the other side cover off and verified how everything went back. Just wasn't holding my mouth right! The old girl is all back together and back to work. Thanks again!