Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450D undercarriage

Kraig777 ยท 2021-03-23 06:16

Second owner of a 450D, currently replacing the undercarriage. Everything has gone well except the piston for the track tension assemble, they are badly pitted and most of the chromed end is not usable. I would like to replace both of them, one side came off with some work. It was very damaged on the end close to the spring and did not appear to be sitting well in the cup. The other side is the real problem. It is rusted really bad into the cup, I would like to just torch it off and use the John Deere special bolt T16678 to remove the spring, inspect cup and replace piston. I am having a difficult time finding the spring compression bolt mentioned above. Does anyone know what the thread is for that special bolt is? Also does anyone have an aftermarket part for the piston. My local JD dealer in Kalamazoo seems reluctant to help, so and advice would be appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612021-03-23 12:15

    Welcome to HEF Kraig777 ! The T16678 bolt is available through Deere parts for the bargain price of $260. The bolt by spec is a 1" NC thread, 15.5 inches long, 4" of thread, grade 5.

  2. #2Kraig7772021-03-23 19:42

    mg2361 thanks for the info, the specs will help. Now I just need to acquire the idler pistons.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2021-03-23 20:51

    Take care with them springs. Not real familiar with the JD ones but the Cat ones have killed more than one person.

  4. #4Kraig7772021-03-25 20:35

    Yes, I will. I have requested a few quotes for all my parts and the one outfit said they could walk me through the spring removal. I may be able to use the backhoe loader bucket as a shield. Hopefully someone with experience with this model will chime in too.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-03-26 01:04

    All those pieces remained the same from the straight 450 at least through the 450E, I can't remember and didn't bother to look, but hell the G may have the same stuff. AT36391 TRACK ADJUSTER ROD is available aftermarket as are the seals, the yoke if you need one, and the springs. Tracks and Teeth is one source. These are available on EBAY, you may have to cut them down to fit, but they're cheap! https://www.ebay.com/itm/500-555B-4...55-0&campid=5336728181&customid=&toolid=10001

  6. #6boaterri2021-03-28 17:07

    BrokenTractor.com will have all the parts you need. i got my 450C track parts there, including the special death spring bolt. If you are going to replace the spring the easiest way to get the old one out is to cut several of the coils with a cutting disk in an angle grinder. There are 2 different endcaps one the bolt threads into one the bolt passes thru and the track tensioner piston fits in to.