Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help removing fuel transfer pump off old D5

Old D5 New Owner · 2021-03-23 16:01

Hi guys, Got some good info from the "old d5 with fuel leak" thread and ordered the lip seals and o rings and finally had the time to tear into it. I have the system with the 7s4430 fuel transfer group that is bolted on the end of the fuel pump just under the hour meter so I was hoping it would be an easy fix, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to pull the pump out. I have removed the two bolts holding it on and have worked it back and fourth enough to finally be able to spin the whole pump in place but the shaft and gear does not seem to want to come free. Is there some trick to getting this out? Is there something holing the gear in place that I need to remove and loosen? All I have to go off is the parts diagram of the pump transfer group, which doesn't have any info about the surrounding parts, so I'm hoping im missing something? This is a D5 sn 96j2655. Thanks!!

Replies8
  1. #1Old D5 New Owner2021-03-23 17:33

    well, I got it off but now even more confused... the parts diagram I was given by cat said it was the 7s4430 fuel transfer group, but that shows the cover assembly as being part 8s5581, but the cover I pulled off has part number 8s5580. On top of that it shows two o rings on the cage assembly but mine only has one (and only a space for one), plus, I don't see how I am to pull this thing apart once I managed to wrestle the nut off the top. it seems to all be press fit and I don't have a way to try and pull it apart, so I would like to just get a whole new pump assembly, but now im not sure if 7s4330 will work in my tractor given it has a slightly different design and different part number on that cover from 825580 to 8s5581. Cat has already steered me wrong once so not too sure they will be much help.

  2. #2kshansen2021-03-23 19:59

    Not sure if this will help but I'm attaching the parts breakdown for the pump. And the NPR says the 8S5580 is replaced by the 8S5581 could be some minor change in the design or materials used.

  3. #3Old Magnet2021-03-23 21:10

    My parts book says 7S4430 is the correct part number for the early 96J.

  4. #4Old D5 New Owner2021-03-24 00:00

    ok thanks yall. I spent 20 mins on phone with cat and they came up with a reference for that part number on the cover that I actually have, but their info didn't give them much more than that other than a different schematic and no part group number... and the guy got super confused as apparently there were a bunch of different numbers that didn't make any sense to him and he couldn't tell if the 4430 would work on what I actually pulled off. Sounds like yall are seeing the same thing the first cat guy showed when I bought replacement seals for the 4430 (which I didn't have and the parts won't work for, its a totally different sealing setup internally) , so I went ahead and ordered an entire new 7s4430 and will see if it fits or not. thanks for your help!

  5. #5kshansen2021-03-24 11:04

    Not sure this will help or just add to the confusion but I'm attaching a file that shows the pump with the 8S5580 cover.

  6. #6Old D5 New Owner2021-03-24 17:14

    yes, thanks we were able to find that but there was no group number to look for the entire part, so I ordered the 4430 and am hoping for the best that they are compatible. worst case I put my pump back on there and plumb a hose to the outside to dump diesel there and not in the belly pan..... they both use the same gasket number so that's a good sign....

  7. #7Old D5 New Owner2021-03-31 21:25

    Just an update that I received the fuel transfer group ending 4430 and it was a direct fit replacement so I’m back up and running and already destroying more cedar! Thanks for everyone’s help! Pic of the grand RE-entry below (plus a bonus shot of an Apache scraping the ground on some their many low altitude training exercises we get on the property being about 30 mins from Killeen/Ft Hood.

  8. #8Old Magnet2021-03-31 23:11

    Always good to hear of a successful outcome, thanks.