Question, anyone have any experience replacing the bull gear on a 450G final drive? When you buy an aftermarket bull gear and slide it on to the axle shaft, should it have any play in it? When you move the gear, the outer teeth will move up to an 1/8” or 3/16”. Is this normal? Will it last? The axle shaft is original, I replaced the bull gear with an aftermarket. Any advice or insight is appreciated.
Are you referring to 1/8” - 3/16“ of horizontal play (side to side) or vertical play (gear to shaft ) ?
If the final and bull gear were laying on its side, (flat) the play on the outer teeth of the bull gear (horizontally) would be 1/8”-3-16” maybe a 1/4”. The axle hub would be pointed up.
So if I understand correctly, there is some play between the splines of the shaft and the splines of the bull gear that measures up to 1/4 “ at the tip of a tooth on the bull gear. Can you see any obvious wear of the splines on the shaft ?
No, I should have done a better job of explaining it. The outer teeth, the big teeth in the outer part of the gear that contacts the pinion gear will move that much. I would say inside where the splines go together maybe 1/32”-1/16”. It just didn’t fit tight with zero play like I expected. But, given the radius of the gear, a little slop on the inside portion where the splines are is amplified on the outer teeth. Is it normal for it to have any play where the splines meet?
How about a pictures of the area in question?
I was with you, we just got caught in the Canada USA translation The shaft and bull gear are not a press fit from new but you can expect next to zero play in the splines with all new parts. I expect you will find some sign of wear on the splines of the existing shaft. You can make a judgement call based on what you find on the shaft vs machine hours and go from there. As mg2361 suggested ,post a picture of the shaft splines. What happened to the original bull gear that required replacement ?