I have a John Deere 450G that quit running while working. I have checked and I have fuel all the way to the inlet of the injector pump but no fuel coming out of the pump to the injectors. I was going to remove the injector pump to bring to a shop to have it tested, but before doing so wanted to get the engine and timing set before removing the pump. I purchased a service manual from John Deere for the 450G but it doesn't give any instructions for timing the injector pump. I don't want to spend another $200+ for another manual and was wondering if someone could give some instructions on timing this Stanadyne pump when I reinstall it. Thanks, Scott
What model engine do you have, did you check for power at fuel pump shut off solenoid,
Do you have a timing window on the side of the pump? it's a small steel plate held on with two screws, remove that plate and the fuel will leak out and you'll see wheels, turn the crankshaft slowly until the lines on the wheels line up. Then remove and reinstall without turning the engine. You can put 12v to the terminal and you should hear the solenoid click, or if the key is on you should hear the solenoid click when you disconnect and reconnect the wire. Also, you can check the fuel return fitting for plugging and the intake for a plugged up screen.
On the newer style pumps, they aren't marked like the older versions.. and some driveshafts are keyed and other aren't. Give me the #'s off the name plate and I'll look it up real quick and tell you .. BUT 1st.. run a hot wire from the battery to the shut-off solenoid and listen for the click.. then try it with the key..if you get a click with the hot wire and none with the key, you know your problem isn't w/ the pump.
Thanks for all of the feedback. I did check the solenoid on the injector pump. I have power to it and I can hear it click when I turn power on to it. The number off the pump is c6db2435-4915, ser. no. ru45594. I will get engine model number this morning and post it when I get back out to the dozer. The pump does have a plate on the side I will check that also to see if it has timing marks. Thank all of you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.
Just checked.. The pump DOES have timing marks in the side window.. line up the lines.. the driveshaft will stay in the engine.. If the machine just shut off while you were working it like someone turned the key.. that's not good.. usually an indication of pump seizure.. BUT if it spit and sputtered like it was running out of fuel, then theres hope..
i need to pull my pump too, do i need a gear puller?
DB2-4915 inj pump.?? No, the drive shaft will stay in the engine and u pull the pump off of it .. Your pump may be different..
450G, yes. It uses a DB4.