hello all, new member here, I want to thank everyone for all the help I have gotten from the info I have gathered for my case hoe. I just got a new to me 510 john deere backhoe, so far it as been problem free. I know the balancer assembly has been a bear to get parts for and can make noise before it becomes bad. my question is , the diesel runs well at start up and at 2100 rpm, but when you shut down the diesel there is this rattling noise just before it quits. if this motor had a timing chain I would say it was a loose chain, but the only thing is the balancer and maybe the injection pump. anyone out there have one of these beasts, and do they all make this sound?
I can't tell you anything about the engine, you could search using the engine model on some of the farm sites, I'm sure they have more experience with old JD diesels than I do. It wouldn't hurt to go over the hydraulic pump drive with fine tooth comb. Or have somebody else shut it down for you so you can stand along side and try to locate the noise a little closer.
you were right on about the pump drive. after listening real closely while I was changing taking out a boom pin, the sound I am hearing is coming either from the drive connection for the pump up front, or the pump itself. the drive connection out of the front of engine has a circular plate, isolator plate, although from the part schematic there does not look like anything that would make that wrachet type noise. maybe a check valve?
The Deere parts site is currently down so no way for me to confirm ... My 310C has a front pump drive. It consists of two toothed plates separated by a rubber "waffle." If the "waffle" was worn or missing, I surmise it could cause the noise you're hearing. When the diesel is shutting down, the rotation is no longer smooth and constant. Hence the noise. Try turning one of the plates to replicate the noise. Any clicking and I would replace the "waffle"
The 510 had the same type of pump drive as I recall. Could also be something in the mechanical clutch rattling, front gear train in the reverser, etc. Try shutting it down while holding the clutch pedal as far down as you can, see if that changes the noise?
PS... If you do replace the waffle... replace the v-belts too. You've already got the opening. Shame to waste a bunch of work & time if the belts need replacing shortly after.
I had a 410. It had a close coupled pump off the front of the crankshaft. The pump was eight radial pistons. They returned to center by spring, and were opposed from returning by a pressurized "crankcase" at center. The shaft was a cam that pushed the pistons out for pressure stroke. Pressure remained constant, volume varied to maintain pressure by the distance pistons moved. I imagine some noise could come from such a design.