Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 5103 Power Steering Pressure Spec?

Howey Matt · 2024-02-23 21:23

My Dad has a 2004 John Deere 5103 that keeps blowing the seals on the power steering cylinder. Does anyone have access to the pressure spec for the power steering? I’m thinking maybe the relief valve is bad. The John Deere dealer refuses to provide the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-02-23 23:10

    The tie rods arnt binding or rusted solid in any way are they. And do the spindles turn freely in the axle. If something is tight it could cause side loading of the cylinder. It the rods chrome in good shape and is the rod straight

  2. #2Howey Matt2024-02-24 08:20

    The cylinder is completely disconnected other than the hydraulic hoses. Blows the seals on either side as soon as it gets to full lock.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2024-02-24 09:02

    Hows the rods condition

  4. #4Howey Matt2024-02-24 10:56

    G It’s fine. I’m getting 1,900 psi at the steering cylinder. Isn’t that a bit high for power steering?

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-02-24 11:09

    No I don't think it is you didn't put the seals in backward by chance?

  6. #6mg23612024-02-24 12:48

    Aftermarket seals that don't quite fit right?

  7. #7Howey Matt2024-02-24 19:11

    Nope. Same way the old ones came out.

  8. #8Howey Matt2024-02-24 19:12

    Do they sell aftermarket seals at the dealer? They’re kinda shady so I suppose so.

  9. #9Howey Matt2024-02-24 19:15

    I just checked and the package says Juan Deere. Could that be the problem?

  10. #10Tyler d4c2024-02-24 20:13

    Post a picture of the package