Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota DPF regen cycles

Columbo · 2024-02-20 08:39

I have a question hopefully @Ridinhigh1500 can answer although others are welcome to chime in too. I have a Kubota L4060 utility tractor (about 2 years old). It has what I consider to be frequent DPF regen cycles, every 20-25hrs or so. I understand that operating conditions play a large role in the regen periods. I typically warm the engine up for 5 mins at 1k rpms before use and let it cool similarly before shutdown. During operation I run at around 2k rpm and “idle down” to 1.5k rpm if I’m off the machine for more than a few minutes. I try not to leave it stationary and running for more than 5 minutes. When I’m using the tractor it is primarily material moving with the loader bucket or forks. Normally slow speed and in 4wd. This time of year I also plow several driveways with it. Are the regen cycles I am experiencing normal? If not is there something I can adjust in my operation to extend the regen or should I contact the selling dealer with this ad a possible problem? Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies8
  1. #1IceHole2024-02-20 10:01

    Run it wide open

  2. #256wrench2024-02-20 10:13

    I’ve got 2 Kubota’s -30hp and 70hp and i usually only get 6-10 hrs between regen under light load and cool temperatures. No problems just can be annoying

  3. #3BC Placer gold2024-02-20 10:49

    Our brand new Kubota kx-040 (25h on the meter when we bought it) re-gened like clock work every 20-25 hours. It was impossible to run hard as it just sat on a pad feeding a wash plant…. In cool weather 8h re-gen (as 56wrench mentions)

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-02-20 10:51

    Should have said also; no idling & full throttle…

  5. #5Birken Vogt2024-02-20 11:22

    I don't know whether it will make any difference, but I would say 5 minutes idle is way more than that little engine needs. Maybe give it 1 minute.

  6. #6Columbo2024-02-20 12:41

    Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I need to increase the throttle a bit (I think full throttle on this engine is about 2800 rpm) and otherwise the 20 hr regen is normal.

  7. #7Ridinhigh15002024-02-20 20:07

    If the regen light is coming on and nothing changes you are fine. Sounds like it is just doing a passive regen which is normal. Unless the tractor derates or you get a stop light don't worry. A constant regen situation that would need looking at is if every other hour or something it was trying to regen. Letting it idle to cool down is fine and good. 2,000 RPM for that tractor is also fine. Unless you are letting it idle for 20 - 30 min don't worry about it. If you are in very dusty conditions or around grass or hay don't forget to take the radiator screen out and clean it.

  8. #8Columbo2024-02-20 20:15

    Thank you, @Ridinhigh1500 ! It is just doing the passive regen, I try to time it so I’m doing something where I can bring the rpms up for the regen cycle as required and run it for the duration of the regen. I appreciate your feedback on this question.