I have a 510b that won't stay running. I was using it and it lost all power and finally shut down. I was thinking it was cold weather so I put some 911 in it, nothing. I drained the filter and primed it up. It will only run for a few seconds then shut right down. If prime it again it will run for a few seconds then stop. I removed the fuel pump and cleaned it up and it seems to be in working order. I can see fuel pushing into the filter when I prime it. It will also run for a few seconds if I wiggle the filter and it bleeds of pressure (sprays fuel out). Any ideas? I am at a loss.
Disconnect the fuel return line from the top of the injection pump, then remove the check valve fitting also. A restriction or plug in the return line will cause these symptoms. Look for brown or black fibrous material in the check valve. Try running it with the check valve fitting out of the pump if you don't mind a little diesel on the ground, if it runs okay you have a plugged return somewhere. If you find material in the check valve you need to get the drive ring in the injection pump replaced sooner rather than later, but you can get by for a while by removing the glass ball and spring from the check valve usually.
How cold's your weather? and what kind of fuel is in the tank? and how long was it running before it died?
Thanks "lantraxo" I will try that today. "Delmer" it was running for about 45 minutes or so before it started losing power then eventually stalling out. The weather has been cold below freezing in the evening.
I'm assuming that means close to freezing temps. That doesn't doesn't sound like waxing temperatures to me, and especially not after 45 minutes at balmy temps. I think you have other problems, report back if lantraxco's suggestions don't get you going.
Okay i took the return off. Need to replace some line, ugh Did not look like any blockage and did not notice any materiel in the check valve. I will let you know if it runs with the return off after I replace the section of line I broke. Getting some weather here now so I have to take a break. How much fuel should the pump be pushing when I use the primer lever? Also looks a like it is pushing some air from the fuel pump when I manually prime. Maybe fuel pump issue?
Pumping some air could be a cracked suction line and/or a plugged intake screen in the tank, or clog somewhere else. You can use some hose to hook up the priming pump to a can of fuel to see if it squirts better than sucking from the tank. As long as the first pump doesn't pump anymore than the last of several pump strokes, the volume is probably OK. The air is a problem.
Okay it is the injection pump. I took of the return and there was material in it. It runs with the return disconnected. So how do I replace the drive ring in the pump? Rebuild the pump? Get a reman pump? How hard to do a rebuild?
I always deferred to the pump specialists on injection pumps, maybe thepumpguysc will jump in here. Reman is quick and easy, if there's a good pump shop around, rebuilding is usually cheaper. I'm sure you can replace the drive ring yourself but I wouldn't do it without instructions, with my luck I'd get it back together wrong and the engine would run full tilt boogie until it came apart. YMMV
Depending on how much you like/need your hoe.. you could knock the check ball outta the connector and keep going.. Just be FOREWARNED.. eventually the engine rpms will climb and you wont be able to shut it down,, I've seen that patch last for months.. seen it last for days, as a matter of fact, I've seen it last for 25 minutes.. and remember.. all that crap is going back into your fuel tank.. if you knock the check ball out.. just sayin'..