-30 C here last night. Tractor plugged in but did not want to start. It has an inline injector pump. I have heard about an excess fuel button as a cold starting aid. I don't know what to look for or how to operate it. I did notice a white plastic lever near injector pump it rotates about 90 deg but I wouldn't consider it a button. I have no idea what it does but it is there. It did finally start with a boost after a lot of cranking and killing the battery. I would like to find this excess fuel button a picture or any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if it collects frost inside or what, but on my old Dextra power unit I have to pour hot water on the pump when its real cold even when the engine is plugged in and is nice and toasty. Something seems to hang up(shut off maybe) until the quart or so of hot water soothes it. An English fellow told me to try it when I was having issues and it works for mine? Cheap trick to try anyway.
Yep the one dad had when it would get real cold the only way to get it started was to park it in the garage with a bit of heat.
Thanks for tor the tips. I found the book for the tractor and it mentions the excess fuel button but does not have a picture of what it looks like.
The simms pump excess fuel button is on the end of the throttle shaft where it comes out of the injection pump. Push it in and it will click inside the pump. It will disengage as soon as it starts.
I had one of these for a lot of years farmed with it in very cold weather. Always an issue to start .Used the wifes hair dryers into the intake manifold for a few minuets to warm the air being drawn into the engine when cracking. Worked for me.
It might be a week or 2 before i fire it up unless i find a set of chains for it. We just got a big dump of snow!
The fuel button on my Dextra is on the left bottom of the fuel tank. Does yours also have a heater for the air intake?
I think it has the heater in the intake. It will start if you turn the key backwards. I don't have the tractor at my house I will check next time I get it out.
You run the heater first, then push the fuel button that dumps the fuel on the heating element making a warm volatile smoke that is sucked into the intake to make combustion easier to occur.
I will try that. It should make starting easier
Got tractor going today using the excess fuel button and intake heater. Fired right up. I also put a set of chains on it what a difference. Thanks for the replies
OLE' grandpa knows his "stuff",,
NO,NO,NOOO!!! Don't ever say that! You'll get his head all swelled up again! Besides, even a blind hog finds an acorn every so often. Seriously, if you weren't our only pump expert, Willie'd probably ban you for saying something good about Grandpa!