Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 510c Hydraulic pump down

toreed47 ยท 2013-07-02 12:13

I'm looking at a John Deere 510C 4x4 backhoe with main hydraulic pump down. The bearing on the pump crankshaft went down. It's in good shape other than that has new tires on the front and 70% on back asking $8500 new pump about 3400 rebuilt about 1500. What do you think and does any one know anything about the 510 ?

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2013-07-02 16:20

    Sounds like a lot of money for a machine that's known to have metal pieces all through the hydraulic system. When that bearing went out there was hardened metal wearing on hardened metal, and that most likely sent fine hard and sharp metal particles that are now embedded in every rubber or plastic piece in every cylinder and valve. It could run like that for several thousand hours, but it's not worth $8,500 plus a pump in my book. If you could get it for $5k, get a machinist to fix up your crankshaft, and put it back together yourself, you'd have a solid machine for a good price. But you'd still always wonder...

  2. #2toreed472013-07-03 16:33

    Thanks Delmer for the reply I think you are wright I think I'll look for something else.

  3. #3Delmer2013-07-03 16:52

    Just my opinion, you're welcome to it. The 510 is a great backhoe. I don't know your market, or what you want to do with the backhoe. If you'll be dead before you put 1,000 hours on it, then who cares right?