Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 544g rear differential locked up

ts360 · 2022-02-19 16:40

It seems like my rear diff is locked up and I'm hoping that the brakes are just locked up and would like to see if anyone could tell me how to go about troubleshooting this. Thank you for any assistance.

Replies4
  1. #1Mike852022-02-19 16:50

    Make sure the pedal returns. Remove the brake line to the rear axle and cap it. Depress the brakes several times first to discharge the accumulators. This will eliminate a issue with pressure going to the axle. Have you had a look at the oil in the diff. I also seem to remember plugs think 1.25 socket which allow a limited inspection of the brake disc

  2. #2ts3602022-02-20 12:42

    The pedal seems to operate normally, I actually just discovered that both of my diffs are locked up by removing the drive shafts. The oil in them seems to be okay so Im thinking it has to be something electronic holding the brake pressure on. I'm going to remove the lines to the axles when I can come up with some caps for them so I can move the machine to a better spot to work on it but is there anything I can check in the mean time? Thank you for the help.

  3. #3Mike852022-02-20 17:20

    They don’t really have any electric system tied into the brakes. Just the light switch. Al 4 wheels up and both drive shafts off at the same time?

  4. #4ts3602022-02-20 18:18

    Correct, I have both drive shafts off and all 4 wheels are locked up. I was glad to find that my transmission operates normally with the drive shafts off.