New to this site so still learning it. Looking for a little advice on a jd 550 dozer that I'm thinking about buying. I was told it's a 1979-1980 model with 4k hours. The owner said it threw a rod shortly after he bought it. He said engine was replaced with a reman engine from jd and it has 700hrs on it. I have never owned a jd dozer so I'm looking for opinions about them. Also I'm curious about the transmission, good or bad ? Let me know what you think !
What model 550? We rebuilt a 550A deere and it's a good little dozer. It sure is a handful with the steering brakes but you get onto it after awhile.
Hopefully someone familiar with it will chime in. Have read the transmissions are the weak point and can be extremely expensive to repair and not sure if all parts are still available.
A serial number will get you more responses. John