Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Request: Help with identifying dozer

FreedomRock · 2020-01-12 10:05

Can anyone help with identifying the type of dozer in picture I've attached? I have other pictures of it, but was unable to find any identifying feature (brand stamp, plate, etc). It's been sitting in unconditioned barn, covered, for ~5 years. I'm wanting to gather information before I travel to where it is and try starting it. Side request: Any suggestions on how I can prepare for starting it would also be helpful--although I can probably find existing threads/info on this exercise here... I'm inexperienced with heavy equipment--operating and maintaining. Hoping to change this. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Junkyard2020-01-12 10:28

    I’m gonna say International TD-9. Late 40’s early 50’s.

  2. #2Tugger22020-01-12 12:12

    TD 6 is my guess. Starts on gas and switches over to diesel . UD14 engine i think.

  3. #3JimInOz2020-01-12 16:46

    TD9 with Bucyrus Erie blade. Go to Redpower Forums for all the IH info required. And get yourself a set of manuals to make life easy,if you buy it.

  4. #4Tones2020-01-12 17:57

    TD6 had only 1 top roller so it's a TD9. Inter engines of that era started on petrol and were switched to diesel

  5. #5FreedomRock2020-01-13 10:11

    Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I'll take a copy of TD9 manual with me and give it a go! Someone I know familiar with the dozer mentioned that it started on gas, switched to diesel... something foreign to me. It's owned in the family, but the member that operated it had a stroke--tough to get information from him... He last started it ~5 years ago--not sure whether it was moved. Recall that he had issues with a starter solenoid (or something in the starting system), but I believe that issue to have been resolved. I need to move it to free up space, and beyond that, would like to have it available on the farm. Thanks again, All--take care

  6. #6JimInOz2020-01-13 16:51

    FreedomRock, It might be a good idea to post on Redpower,regarding the start up procedure for a dozer that sat for 5 years without a start up. Sometimes the gas start system can cause issues after a long downtime. Before starting, check for rats & birds in weird places. While you are there,even if you can't get it running,pull back on both steer levers & see if it feels OK.Hopefully the steering has not frozen up. Try the clutch lever too. The early 4 cylinder TD9 had a 335 IH engine ,later ones were 350. Good luck.