Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550G fluid recomendation

dondiesel444 ยท 2013-09-29 08:30

I blew a hydraulic hose yesterday, and need to replace some lost fluid. it appears that I have ATF in my hydraulic system. I've read that can be a good or bad. should I top it off with more ATF to can I get regular hydraulic fluid, I'm not sure if you can mix the 2... thanks

Replies4
  1. #1buckfever2013-09-29 16:03

    That's not ATF, that's hydrolic fluid they dye red. Napa sells the fluid you need. For 5 gallon bucket the part number is 85-405 and a 1 gallon container is 85-401.

  2. #2dondiesel4442013-09-29 18:16

    it smells just like ATF. does that NAPA hydraulic fluid smell like ATF too? Also, the fluid on the dipstick for the transmission is red, and the same smell as the red hydraulic fluid. I did some research and found you can run ATF as hydraulic fluid, but I didn't find anyone using it as tranny fluid. please let me know I don't wanna mix the wrong fluids in there.

  3. #3buckfever2013-09-30 19:49

    I've never used ATF for hydrolic fluid so cann't help you there. The trans. and the hydros. take the same fluid.

  4. #4dondiesel4442013-10-01 18:52

    ok thanks for the help!