Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8N or 1050c?

Pipe Installer ยท 2013-09-29 06:39

Hello new to this forum,looking to buy a dozer for installing tile and currently are running a d8h and we are gonna upgrade to something with a little bit more power,so have been researching deere 1050c and a D8N.Looking for some advice on which one would be the better dozer for pulling.I liked the idea of the 1050 because of the hdyrostatic tranny so the speeds could be set slower with still plenty of rpm to keep up oilflow.I'm not sure on cat if oil pressure is constant no matter the rpm. Both dozers are in the 8-10000 hr range,any comments would be appreciated thanks.

Replies11
  1. #1Greg2013-09-29 20:23

    This is a real no brainer. Go for the Cat D8N. You may find a D8K more to your liking then the D8N too.

  2. #2awful knawful2013-09-29 21:31

    go for the Cat. Our 1050C has been full of issues since new. And that is pushing chips.

  3. #3awful knawful2013-09-30 11:36

    New operator had a little mishap. He fell in the hopper.

  4. #4glenlunberg2013-09-30 21:57

    Nice pictures. I like the machine! But too bad for the last 2 pictures. I hope the machine got no problems with that.

  5. #5theironoracle2013-09-30 22:09

    d8n for sure don't know much about the 1050 but they are not popular for a reason. You will never get the kind of parts availability or service help with a 1050 that you will with a d8n. As far as oil flow I assume you mean hydraulics the 8n has variable a variable displacement hydraulic pump which means it produces as much flow and pressure as you need only when you need it, like an excavator. Also earlier in this (dozer) forum is a guy that just finished an install of tile plow plumbing on a d6r? which would be a lot like an 8n...........imho...............TIO

  6. #6Tinkerer2013-10-01 06:41

    There is no need to be concerned about the 8N not having a hydrostatic transmission. I ran 8N"s for thousands of hours and not once was there ever a time I felt I needed a Hydro. I also put a lot of hours on dozers (John Deere and Caterpillar) with hydrostatic transmissions and I can't say one type of transmission is any better than the other. When spending the amount money that you will be, try them both out and then make your own assessment.

  7. #7alco2013-10-01 16:54

    If it was a 1050J you were looking at, I would probably lean that way. But the C is a poor excuse for a dozer all around. The J is way better than the C, and the new K....well, it's going to take some time to prove it out, but it sure looks like a beast!

  8. #8Pipe Installer2013-10-03 22:36

    Thanks for all the input,plenty of mixed feelings on the Deere,I guess maybe the Cat is the way to go.

  9. #9Construct'O2013-10-04 21:20

    Personally i would be looking at a late model D8R ,very reliable and dependable.Good luck

  10. #10Dozerboy2013-10-04 22:05

    We blew lots of hoses on our 1050. I hate Ns but have more faith in it then bigger Deeres.

  11. #11theironoracle2013-10-04 23:46

    someones got to ask here dozerboy, why do you hate n's?????TIO