Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550G High Temp Alarm/Sensor Setting

JBrady ยท 2022-07-18 11:53

Does anyone know at what coolant temperature the sensor is supposed to alarm? I have a 1989 John Deere 550G. In the summer, my temperature light will go off after about 30 mins of work. I have added an aftermarket temperature gauge and it will show around 160-180 when the alarm goes off. A handheld infrared gun shows about the same thing when I shoot the radiator hose. I am pretty sure the engine is not too hot when I get this alarm, but there is something inside of me that won't let me keep working the machine with that big red STOP! light blinking.

Replies2
  1. #1mg23612022-07-18 12:09

    Your temperature warning switch is probably bad. Older switches were 208*, newer switches are now 215*.

  2. #2JBrady2022-07-19 13:55

    Thanks, exactly what I was needing.