Hi everyone, first time posting in the dozer section, but pretty active in the TLB and skid steer forums. I'm hoping I can get the same help here that I have found on those pages. This site has helped me so much. Anyway, I recently purchased a JD550G dozer for personal use here on the ranch. The dozer is in really good shape for its age. It has a lot of hours, but looks like it has had a pretty good life. I rebuilt the track tensioner on the right side when I got it and found that to be easier than I had expected. I checked the final drive oil levels yesterday before doing some roadwork and found the left side low. The maintenance label says those take HyGard, so I filled it up with a HyGard equivalent. After finishing my work, I found a slow leak on the inside track pad. After sitting overnight, the oil level is about 1/2" low. I am going to fill it back up with 85W-140 to see if the thicker gear oil will work better. If I still have a leak, I'd like to fix it before I do some real damage. I've watched a video on Youtube of some boys removing and installing a final drive on a 550G and I am confident I could do that. I have TM1404, and it describes the process, but I know how a Deere tech does it in a shop and how it is done in the field aren't always the same. Is there any advice out there from those that have done this job? If the seal was damaged from barbwire or something like that, would you still replace the inner and outer bearings or just a new seal and reassemble? Any idea of what a shop would charge if I were to bring them the final drive? Thanks.
Pretty sure the final has to come off there should be a retainer on the back of the axle remove axle install seal also check the sprocket shaft for movement would be a good time to replace the bearings
Taking a final drive apart I normally install new bearings and check the other bearing in the drive. Only time I wouldn't replace bearings is on a low hour machine if it has got wire wrapped in it.
They are done the same for a final drive. I would replace the bearings on a machine of that age. Couldn't tell you the parts cost, but labor would be approximately $1500 - $2000 depending on shop rate. Call and get a quote.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been watching the leak over the weekend (not using the dozer, just looking at it when I walk by) and it seems to have stopped leaking with the level about 1" below the inspection plug. Maybe the HyGard was too thin and leaked out or maybe the seal has failed at the top of the shaft. I felt around the axle shaft as best I could and didn't find any wire or anything like that. I'll fill it back up with gear oil and see what happens. If it leaks again, I now know what I need to do. I found some aftermarket bearing and seal kits for just under $1000.