Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550G Lt Shifting problems?

ferrret3238 ยท 2022-05-16 23:39

Hello all, I'm working on a John Deere 550GLT and it has shifting issues. The serial number is T0550GH761206. I do not have any manuals for this machine but i'm probably going to have to get some. It starts and runs fine at any throttle positon and the decelerator works good too. When i shift it into gear at low idle it shifts kind of hard and moves immediatley. There's no hesitation when shifting and standing on the brake will stop the machine and kill the engine. Almost like its directly coupled. I was reading somewhere about the clutch pressures being off but wasn't sure if that would cause this? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612022-05-17 04:50

    How many pedals does that unit have, 3 or 4?

  2. #2ferrret32382022-05-18 20:12

    I looked and it only has 2 pedals to my knowledge. There's the brake in the middle that's about a foot wide and the decelerator pedal right of it. Possibly could have been another pedal left of the brake but there's nothing there. Also maybe on some the brake is 2 part for left and right tracks? Ill try to get some pictures tommorrow. I have 2 PDF manuals on order right now for it too.

  3. #3ferrret32382022-05-19 14:58

    Here are the pictures of the pedals.

  4. #4mg23612022-05-20 04:52

    If your machine is a direct drive, which I think it is, then stepping on the brake pedal will stall the engine. To use the center pedal for stopping you first have to place the shifter in neutral. Can you stop the machine without stalling by pulling both brake levers? The reason I think your unit is direct drive and not a torque converter machine is I think your declutch pedal is missing (see below). To know for sure, remove the floor board and post a picture of what the pumps are mounted to.