Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550g transmission

Jeff logger alaska · 2023-03-11 01:44

I have a 550g direct drive transmission with pedal steering, I have run out of adjustment in the pedal, the adjustment wheel behind the 2” plug on the side of the transmission, is to the end of the threads. so do I need to rebuild the transmission? I have 13,000 hrs on the machine.

Replies3
  1. #1mg23612023-03-11 05:37

    Probably just worn out brake bands on the steering clutches. But with 13,000 hrs, you did really well. Might want to do the steering clutches while you are at it, and when the back is open, it is really easy to get the transmission out for clutch inspections. Any clutch debris in the suction screen or the filter?

  2. #2Jeff logger alaska2023-03-11 10:50

    I replaced the main hydraulic pump this last summer and there was just 3 small 1/4” long things in the straine. I change the transmission oil every 1000 hrs. what’s it like to pull the transmission?

  3. #3mg23612023-03-12 05:52

    The transmissions on the "G"s are very easy to pull. If you are going to go down that route, I strongly suggest you get the repair manual for that job (Deere# TM1404). The troubleshooting manual (Operation and Test Manual) is TM1403. But, since you have a steering issue, I would pull and inspect the steering clutches first. Again, you will need the TM1404 manual.