I have a JD 555 track loader. A few months ago I had the pins/bushings turned and the left side final drive re-sealed. Shortly after that work was done it began dragging on the left side, ie, the left side track would hardly move. I backed off on the brake adjustment until it would not grab, then adjusted it until it now will engage the brake at just before the pedal bottoms out. Now the machine works but after about 45 minutes of work, the left side of the transmission housing (clutch and brake) and the final drive housing gets hot. Using an IR thermometer, the temperature on the left side was 169F and the right side was 110F. The transmission seems to be fine. I can dig the bucket in and the machine will slip the tracks on both sides. I dont know if the heat source is from the brake, the steering clutches, or possibly from the final drive. I have removed the transmission filter and cut it open and it was clean. I plan to drain the final drive and check the fluid for debris. This is a ranch machine that gets light use, but I sure would like to get it working such that I can have confidence in it. It does just about everything I need it to do when it was working right. Is there a bearing on the shaft from the brake/clutch housing to the final drive that could be getting hot? Or is it more likely to be the brake dragging or clutches slipping? It seems suspicious that this happened just after having that final drive re-sealed. Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
There may be too much pre load on the bearing
Mike, how would I check preload? I assume that means removing the track and final drive housing? Do you have an assembly drawing for the shaft out to the final drive? I am not sure what is supposed to be there.
OK, I managed to get hold of a "Technical Manual" pdf for this machine. I now can see the assembly drawing and instructions for putting it together. Now, if I can manage to get the master pin out of the track, I will be on my way.:tong