Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 580G hydraulic Cylinder

Tejotiger · 2022-04-10 14:12

I am having trouble removing the end cap from my angle hydraulic cylinder. I was able to loosen the end cap with a pipe wrench and 6 foot cheater pipe but now the end cap just spins and will not come off. Can someone help me here.

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632022-04-10 14:30

    Pics of the cylinder gland would help. You may have the type that uses a snap ring retainer.

  2. #2Tejotiger2022-04-10 15:19

    I can’t get to the gland because the end cap will not come off; it just spins.

  3. #3Tejotiger2022-04-10 15:21

    I was able to rebuild one of the lift cylinders with no problem.

  4. #4Tejotiger2022-04-11 13:56

    Sorry, I had a brain fart. I was thinking you were referring to the rod nut. I think I may just have to put some pressure on it with a winch. What do y’all think?

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-04-11 14:10

    580G ? or,

  6. #6halfdawg2022-04-11 14:20

    I assume he means 550G, I just rebuilt all 5 blade cylinders on mine. Try taking a hammer and punch to remove the big lock nut, just turning it turns the gland and all and you'll never get anywhere. Hammer and punch the lock nut off, push the gland inside the barrel a couple inches and remove the lock ring, then pull the rod out.

  7. #7Tejotiger2022-04-12 19:09

    I finally got it. I used a winch to pull the gland taught so it would not spin and then was able to unscrew the nut.

  8. #8Delmer2022-04-12 22:55

    Extending or retracting the rod with the hydraulics will hold the gland tight also. Sorry, just saw this thread.