Having some trouble with my old Deere 644B. Getting oil in the cooling system. Looks like its oil from the engine . Have replaced the engine oil cooler but nothing changed so it looks like another issue. I always thought that a broken head gasket would make water get into the engine oil and not the other way around. THere is no signs of water in the oil here. THis makes me a bit unsure if the head gasket is the issue but what else could it be? Anyone with som knowledge about this? nielsa
Did you flush the radiator until it was clean when you changed oil cooler?
Tried to clean it several times but there had been oil in the cooling system for years so never got it 100% clean . Lots of white/grey mix of oil and cooling fluid. I am sure there is "new " oil getting into the cooling system now when I am using the machine and the oil level on the engine gets lower . nielsa
Oil pressure is a lot higher than the few pounds in the cooling system, so it is possible for a head gasket to leak oil into the coolant. Could still be something else I suppose, not sure what though.
Agree about higher oil pressure than water pressure when engine running but was thinking that water would get into the oil when the engine has stopped. The oil will get down in the sump and the water in the cooler will stand higher than the engine and "push" water into the oil through the broken gasket. Thats why I thought you "always" had water in the oil with the broken head gasket between oil and water passages. nielsa
If that were true, you would have the same issue with a cracked or pinholed oil cooler.... weird things happen with machines, pressures, and hot/cold cycles. I think you're right about it being engine oil if you're losing oil in the engine sump. I assume the transmisison oil is not dropping, as the tranny cooler is separate in the thermostat housing? just a thought.
I have replaced the tranny cooler and hoses between the tranny and the hydraulic filters for the tranny that was leaking. The tranny is now without any outside leakage and no oil diseappers inside it either. This possibilty has therefore been excluded. Yeah I am not able to explain everything that moves inside the engine . Engine oil cooler was replaced with used and tested one. nielsa
We use dishwasher detergent to clean engine cooling system out of oil, best way we found to get that white heavy muck out is to hook a hose to heater hoses, fill engine and run till hot, no water regulators in, radiator cop off when it gets hot, slowly turn hose on and let it overfill radiator, engine running keeps water hot and it pushes all that muck out, when you drain it from the bottom it gets stuck in all the cores.
I did experience the same thing trying to drain the radiator from the bottom. Instead I put a water hose as far down into the radiator I could get it. Connected the water hose to the water heater inside the house (for warm water) and let the engine run while the warm water kept filling up the radiator. I did not use dishwasher detergent but got it pretty much cleaned up for the old stuff but now new oil is coming into the cooling system. Just looking for some advice before I decide what to do. Loader has 4000hours on it so it will be repaired some how. nielsa
Dawn dish soap my friend dawn dish soap it will flush that oil out good