I have a Hough 65C front end loader with a DT407 engine. Yesterday when i tried to start it the starter did nothing. I pulled the rear cover off of the starter and oil ran out of it. One of the brushes was broken and the rest of them were a mess. I removed the starter and can see where there is oil in the bell housing. Is this supposed to be normal or do I have a bad seal somewhere? Buying a new starter but what about the oil? Thanks for the help.
Not familiar with the Hough 65C, does it have a torque convertor? If it does, then I would guess yes, oil in the housing. Even if it has a clutch, good chance it's an "oil clutch". If it looks like it's supposed to have oil in the housing, make sure your new starter is correct for a wet mount (sealed) and usually there is a gasket used between the starter and bell housing.
Hey pal I also have this machine in our yard now. It has a few problems, well I would guess the torque converter has a crack in it, or may be the input shaft seal is broken. Hopefully it's a slow enough leak that you can just top off with oil as needed. To replace the rear main seal the trans, clutch, and IMA motor all have to plug out. so I suggest to get Professional help..