Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 644J Shuts Off After 5 Minutes

Wyatt Lucey · 2021-10-11 13:31

Hello, I have a 644J thats shutting off after 5-10 minutes of idle. Both fuel filters have air in them after it shuts down. The line from the tank to the filter is open and I just replaced the filters a month ago. A dealer told me these machines don’t have a fuel shutoff solenoid, it’s all run electronically. Any info would be helpful.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2021-10-11 13:35

    The first filter has a water bowl. Is the O-ring present between the bowl and the new filter?

  2. #2heymccall2021-10-11 13:40

    Letter E in second image

  3. #3Jnogo9152022-01-22 14:32

    Hi Wyatt, any chance you resolved this/found your issue? I have a Deere 200D excavator with the 6068 and I’m having the same issue. Starts everyday fine and runs for 20ish minutes then dies. The filters are both new. I also disconnected the first filter and ran the tank direct to the lift pump and it still shuts down. I thought the system was sucking air but the lines/second filter still hold pressure.

  4. #4Jnogo9152022-01-22 14:35

    Hi McCall, I tried to tag you in my post to Wyatt. Not sure if it worked but if you read my post you’ll see I have a similar issue. Any input?

  5. #5mg23612022-01-23 05:49

    Welcome to HEF Jnongo915 ! Please start your own thread in the excavator section and post the serial number. While you are at it, press and hold the top right button and key on. Let go of the button after the monitor goes through start up. Use the menu button (second from the right on the bottom) to get into the menu structure. Then work your way (buttons 1 and 2 on the top left to scroll) to troubleshooting. Then press the second button from the right on top to enter. See if there are any numbers next to any of the controllers. Also highlight each controller one at a time and press the select button and post any codes that you find.

  6. #6Jnogo9152022-01-24 15:34

    Hi Mg2361, Thank you for having me! I apologize and will post a new thread to the excavator forum. I was trying to piggy back on Wyatt’s post. I was hoping he would have responded with his solution. I have looked for the codes in the Deere computer system previously but there are none. That’s what led me here. I was hoping for an insight before I start to drain the tank.