Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere K or J series?

Allterra ยท 2021-10-10 18:37

Looking at buying a loader will have to be used due to budget. Dealers for service and support limits me to John Deere, Caterpillar and Kamatsu. Needs to be under 30,000 pounds so I can haul it with my tilt deck trailer. Looking at a machine online, what a scary way to buy, but my 1st machine was bought on eBay and turned out pretty good. The question is is there any reason to buy a J or K series over the other with the same hours on the machine assumed. What year do they start putting the DEF of systems on the loaders? Is the DEF system better than the particulate filter they use prior to the DEF systems? I am looking at 544K and J series at this time thinking I should keep it under 10,000 hours. Any suggestions or prior knowledge of these machines is welcome

Replies6
  1. #1Evening Digger2021-10-10 20:56

    I have a 544k, 5300 hours and it's a good machine. Mine has no DEF or particulate filter at all, good old Tier 3. Bought sight unseen from a trusted used machine source and fortunately I've been OK. Thumbs up to Porter Equipment in Perry GA. Nothing for me in this promotion, I'm just a happy customer.

  2. #2Allterra2021-10-10 21:26

    What year is your K ? I Know the K 2s all have Def.

  3. #3Evening Digger2021-10-11 21:55

    I think it's 2012 but let me check before you take that as a good answer.

  4. #4Allterra2021-10-11 22:37

    No problem, the deal fell through on one I was looking at. I might have to buy a case that one is still available but I don't have a dealer close and the case backhoes I have were okay but seem to exhibit a lot of pin wear.

  5. #5heymccall2021-10-12 01:22

    I have a mid range serial number 544k (and 2 J and 3 G machines) Earlier 544J have POS rotary injection pump. Later 544J are common rail. Early 544K no DPF. My 544K has DPF but no DEF. Later 544K have DPF & DEF.

  6. #6Allterra2021-10-12 10:54

    Thanks for the information on when they used the DPF. Looks like I want to stay away from the early J's, any preference over late-model J and early model K?