Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 650G seriesIV opinions?

millwrightguy ยท 2009-09-02 21:51

Hey all ran into a 650g series IV with cab heat and air bout 4400 hours. I ran the machine and all things seemed to work as they should. Having said that i'm not a dozer expert at all (that's why i'm relying on all of your profesional opinions here) but seems like a very good machine. The guy said that he felt the undercarriage was like 80%. All the glass was good, not any cracked. Had sweeps on it too. Are these good machines? That maybe a dumb question but any opinions or experiences? Any problem areas on these units? And what does this compare in size to in a case or cat? What is a machine this size best suited for when it comes to the type of job it can handle? The price is 27,000 dollars. What do you all think? Kinda long winded, I know, but I currently have a peterbilt dumptruck, that i have been delivering dirt, sand, and rock with and a 580 backhoe, just trying to add to the stable and become more versatile..Thank you guys in advance!!!

Replies3
  1. #1CascadeScaper2009-09-03 00:09

    I like the G series dozers, pretty good deal IMO. The 650 is equivelant to a Cat D5 and Case 850.

  2. #2RonG2009-09-03 04:29

    The Cat D5 is much heavier than the 650Gs that I have been around,at least the high track D5s are but the 650 is a great dozer.I have thousands of hours on them and consider it to be one of my favorite dozers to run. I don't know what market value is these days but they should be easy to resell if the time comes.They are a hotrod as far as getting work done,they do everything well.Ron G

  3. #3roddyo2009-09-03 08:11

    My 2 Cents The 650 G is a good dozer. It will be the same size as a 39 Komatsu also. Or a cat 5G. For just a little more money you can about get a hydrostat though. It will be a good dirt dozer and in my area they will take down trees the size of a coffee can without digging. Just run them over. Digging them out you can take down trees that are so big you can't move them when they hit the ground. All in all I would say its a good sized dozer for what you are doing. On the undercarriage you can get the thing measured and get a report what the percentages are.