Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 675B

Tbirdhead · 2025-10-29 18:38

Motor blew on this deere. When pulling the motor, it was a struggle to get the pump free. Now I see why, the splines are all jacked up! What would cause this? Pump spins freely with a pipe wrench on it. No binding or hard spots. Along with a motor, now I need to find a pump! Theres barely a hint of a spline or two in the crank/ flywheel.

Replies8
  1. #1Simon C2025-10-29 19:55

    Something or somebody haywire happened to that pump shaft. Simply incredible it could get that junked. Simon C

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-10-30 01:33

    Could something have caused the pump to almost seize up? I can see splines wearing out but that damage is beyond belief. Could the pump have came loose maybe? Did the engine blow when under a heavy load? Worn coupler from engine to pump kept pounding on the splines? I know on my skid steer there's a double U-joint that it's important to keep greased. Some machines aren't greaseable though. That had to have been pounding away for a long time.

  3. #3MG842025-10-30 08:32

    How many hours on the machine and do you know its history? In your pics at the 1 or 2 o'clock position on the shaft that looks like a little bead of weld to me. I'm guessing the splines went bad so someone ran a bead or two of weld to make a 'spline' and forcefully shoved it back together. Maybe also some action with a grinder and cutoff wheel in an effort to reshape some splines. Regardless, looks like it was done by someone who either didn't know, didn't care, or was just hoping for a quick fix long enough to finish a job or get the machine sold.

  4. #4BC Placer gold2025-10-30 09:43

    That does look like some (poor…) weld bead.

  5. #5Tbirdhead2025-10-30 11:38

    The engine put a rod through the side of the block while back dragging. So, not a ton of load on anything right then. It's my buddy's machine, he had it about a year when the engine went. Someone at some point in the machines history had the pump off / engine out or something. Some bolts in the pump plate to bell housing were missing washers, one lower radiator bracket was cut off and booger welded back together. I had to cut it off because the bolt heads were stripped, and plan on making a new one. So, my thought is, the motor end splines stripped, some other yahoo boogered up the pump shaft and ground it to make it bite and forced it back together. But good-lord, the work it too to separate, I cant imagine the work / force to get them together, Then sold it. It ran great till the engine tapped out.

  6. #6Vetech632025-10-30 15:20

    It also looks like the pump has been run with the mounting bolts loose

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-10-30 17:03

    I don't think you could duplicate that damaged shaft if you tried. One of the grooves looks pretty flat and square shaped. I wonder if the part that looks like a weld could be a key and someone tried to cut a keyway and use a key to repair the coupler?

  8. #8Mr. Wrench2025-11-01 15:03

    I agree, it looks like someone tried to rig it up in the past. Those machines in that series could have trouble with the pump mounting bolts coming loose. I've seen where the ears brake off of the pump mount. Sometimes they will brake the pump mount bolts. You may be able to just rebuild the pump with a seal kit and new shaft. I think it is a Sunstand pump. To keep it from happening again you will need to replace or fix all the worn parts: 1 Worn pump shaft 2 Worn flex drive coupler 3 Make sure all the motor mounts are good 4 Check the mount at the front of the pumps. I think there is a rubber mount there. 5 Make sure the pump mounting flange and bell housing flange that it mounts to are flat and true. If the surfaces are worn it can just work loose again. The surfaces may be able to be machined alittle to true them up. 6 Check the threads in the bell housing for the pump mount bolts for wear. If they are a little loose the bolt will have trouble staying tight. I think one I worked on we where able to drill it out and thread it to the next size bigger. 7 Use new Grd 8 bolts that are long enough to use all the threads in the bell housing but not hit the flex coupling. Use new Grd 8 thick flat washers. You can also use some blue locktite on the bolts. Tighten the pump to the engine before you tighten down any of the rubber mounts. That way the pump and engine can align good and square. Hopefully you don't have to much trouble getting parts. It will be the same as a New Holland but I'm not sure what model, though it will have a different engine and related parts. Maybe someone else will know the New Holland model. It is not a quick job to do it right. Hope it goes well!