My machine started puking oil out of the front crank seal so Im looking into replacing it. I have the repair manuals for both the whole machine and the engine, but the engine manual shows how to do it with the engine out on a stand. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it in the machine? Thank you for any advice.
If I recall correctly, just remove the fan guard and fan. You should be able to get to the crank seal from either bending over the top (and getting a nose bleed), or accessing it from underneath.
So I finally got around to tearing into this and I got the old seal out but there is apparently a "wear ring" that the old seal rides on that has to be removed and then replaced after the seal is in to prevent the lips from rolling. Anyone have any tips on removing the wear ring without damaging the crank? It seems like it's going to need to be chiseled off.
On my 4045 front crank seal I used a small hand saw. Took slow cautious strokes, stopping often and check for depth until I was able to "tear" the wear ring off. Worked great. I have a picture below of what I used. John Deere 310 SE Project Hello all, Yellow fever has struck again. I drug home a nice but weathered 310 SE back in February. It's debatable as to whether it has more green mold and mossoak than yellow paint though. SN: T0310827306 Engine Model: 4045TT050 I've posted a few questions about it here and there, but... HeavyEquipmentForums
That is a good idea, thanks. I tried to cheat the instructions by installing the seal over the old wear ring but it did not go well. The rubber rolled to the outside of the new seal and ruined it.
If your 690E is sn # 559602 or below , the wear sleeve is heavy wall about 1/4 inch thick. There is not too much of the sleeve to grab through the opening,if your lucky long nose channel locks might get it. Otherwise the front timing cover has to come off.
The front crankshaft wear sleeve puller Part number is JDG786 $129.95 on Greenpartsstore.com.
I wanted to post what I ended up doing here in case anyone comes across this post with similar questions. I was actually able to replace the seal without removing the wear ring with the advice of a friend. I cut the smooth section out of a plastic bottle and cut down the middle of it so it could overlap on itself to fit the crank and the seal can ride it over the wear ring and then you can just remove the piece of plastic. It worked awesome in my case of course results may vary in different circumstances. Thanks again everyone that posted here for the help, and the info.