Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 743 Tree Harvester

Chopper95 · 2014-07-18 22:33

Was looking on the Deere website for an outdated machine manual and came across some of their logging history information; stumbled across a table showing that their first tree harvester was produced in 1977, so naturally I was curious about it. I wasn't able to find much of anything on the piece: limited number of photos, no mechanical/ general information, nor videos (besides a slide-show of poor quality photo's). I guess I have an act for finding those elusive machines, regardless, it looks like an interesting piece Can't tell if it's anything special, but it just looks like a good sized skidder with a harvesting arm attached to it. Does anyone have any info or anything on this machine? Stories from back in the day? Thanks again. Here's the YouTube that came up... [video=youtube;yAM4QxKAIxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAM4QxKAIxM[/video]

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies8
  1. #1MutsMachines2014-07-30 23:09

    being a huge john deere lover and forestry equipment enthusiast I have also looked at these machines with great curiosity and searched them and also came up with nothing. I also travel around Ontario and other provinces for work and have not seen one anywhere.(I am always looking for equipment in yards while traveling). the best guess I have for these machines is they were never mass produced and was probably just a concept that deere wanted to get big but could never build it good enough that it would work a solid week or what ever with out break downs. just my guess.

  2. #2JD743A2014-12-07 21:27

    Hello! The john Deere 743A was the first feller buncher delimber that my father have buyed in 1978. they started operating this machine 24hr/24 and 5 day/week. 2 operator making 12hr shift. it was a revolution at the time because people was cutting tree with chainsaw at this time. This machine was equiped with air conditioning....but a/c stop working after few week and never worked again... the operator cab was very very hot. lot of water was needed for the operator! Problem with this machine was often poppet valve issue. he said to me that this machine was far too much complicated for the time... nobody have the knowledge to make it working. The main problem with 743A was tree falling not in bunch at the back of the machine, making the skidders operator job a nightmare. The last years they operated 743, the delimber on the front of the machine was removed, they were juste cutting tree and putting them on the side making real bunch. Production was increased but they needed to buy a real delimber. The last month was terrible with the machine working only in reverse, swing motor problem, stabilizer cylinder not working etc etc.... A fire started under cab burned the entire machine during winter night... they buyed a 693B after that. im from quebec and I see your post. sorry for my english, but I hope my answer can help you. I have a small super 8mm film on youtube that you can see a little bit the 743. there is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVURy9Qh_A8

  3. #3Chopper952014-12-08 12:46

    Thank you for the reply! Very interesting story about your father's experience with the machine. Don't worry about your English, my French would be much worse. Your video is excellent! I hadn't seen that film before, but it has lots of good footage of older machines. Again, thank you & Merry Christmas!

  4. #4JD743A2014-12-08 22:26

    I dont understand why John Deere never shared any videos of this machine. Im searching everywhere in the internet to see it in action processing trees. I think one of my uncle may have good picture of it. I will ask him one day.. So this video is the only one that we can see 743. I found it only last years when searching in the personal 8mm archive of my uncle. merry christmas to you!

  5. #5old-iron-habit2014-12-09 09:45

    There used to be one working in the Grand Rapids, MN area when they first came out. I never seen it work but talked to the owner when I seen the machine setting in his bone yard. The shearing side of the machine had a 1/2" steel plate added betwen the cab and the delimber. The owner said that the operator almost got stabbed a few times when trees got crossed up or broke and came thru the window. It was partially burned and he told me that it had caught on fire more than once and was not a very reliable machine. Lots of new technology that was not reliable yet. He also mentioned that the skidders lost a lot of production behind it sorting out the mess. He was considering adding a tracked loader to sort the trees into bunches behind it when it burned for the last time. He did not think they ever got into full production as true feller bunchers were getting better all the time.

  6. #6JD743A2014-12-09 22:34

    thanks for your story! all what you said is true. my uncle said to me that often tree were hitting the cab making almost an heart attack to the operator. also its true that new technology were used here and almost nobody was able to properly repair it. And finally my dad often said to me that tree were a hell to sort with skidders. he buy a grapple so it was a little bit faster but.... finally, he said that if he was rebuilding completely a part of the machine, all the other were broking down. cannot take the control. Even after many years, when we talking about that, he speak each time about the infernal air conditioning system not working and john deere engineers cannot repair it properly under warranty.

  7. #7JD743A2014-12-09 22:54
  8. #8JD743A2016-05-29 22:36

    I found this movie today in my uncle archives. unexpected! enjoy!!! the only 743 operating in the web! https://youtu.be/GBeumyovnI4