I was looking at a john deere 850C 1998 year. Are they any good? Is their any year I should stay away from? Does anybody know what it weight of it is? HP? What does it compare to as to a cat? Is it closer to a cat 6 or 7?
Deere guys will tell you it is comparable to a 6r or h but I have ran both and they wont keep up with a high track 6. It depends how they are set up but it will weigh around 46000 and should be 185 hp. My boss started out with deere machines then bought a cat and now only have cat but If you are wanting a farm machine and not a production machine there is nothing wrong with them. The eariler model c's had a lever next to stearing joystick for speed control and the later ones had a button built in to the joystick. How many hours are on the machine and what is the uc like? here is a link to ritchie specs on a 850c lt http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...r&make=John+Deere&model=850C+LT&modelid=90631
I guess I should be comparing it to my 1977 IH TD15C. It surely would walk all over it. The machine has 6600 hours on it. I'm sure the uc will do what I want to do for a good many years. I'm just a farmer wanting to do waterway work and tree work. It also has a cab and that is why I want it. I'm sick of being out in the cold.
I have got a 750c series 11 and use it on my farm.I really like it.I had a D5 H and got along very well with it.I upgraded more for better cab.I would say a 750 should do alot more than the 15c and at a lower cost.
That sounds great. I really want a bigger machine than I have with a cab. I think I'll check out to see what 750 are going for though.
They had 180hp and weighed anywhere between 40 to 45.. A 850 will do anything as good or better then a D6 besides slot dozing. Just get the serial # of the machine and call your dealer and let them look it up on win to see if deere has done anything with it. That will cut some of the worry out.
I have two, one cab 01' and one open 99' wide track and use them everyday - they are very good machines. Would recommend them highly.
John Deere 850C: Heck yeah, they make a good farm machine, if you don't want a production machine... And if you run out of work on the farm, you might want to mess around on fires. HeavyEquipmentForums OCR
I had a D6H them went to a 850C series1 My D6H would eat undercarraiges. We then demo'd an 850C Series2 and a D6R side by side. As far as production goes the Deere got it marginally. The Cat and Deere would push the same but the Deere was easier to operate. We could cycle a bit faster with the Deere therefore better production. The Hyrostatic is a dream to operate. The biggest differences were in fuel consumption, the Deere was about 2-3 gph less than the cat and the visibility was better with the Deere.
How are the deeres finals? I've heard bad things but its been 3rd hand info.
I have not had an issue with any of mine. I do change the oil when recommended.
I'm going to check out a 750C LGP. More hours than I would like at 12000. Anything I need to check over very well besides undercarriage?
D3davec, That's a good many hours. Speed sensors on the travel motors are really the only thing I would worry about other then normal wear parts. Is it a 6-way or osd?
It's a 6 way blade, new undercarriage and rebuilt engine. Now I'm thinking against it, I need it for a year or 2 and after it will have 13000+ hours and I'll have a hard time to sell it. Thanks
If it has a rebuilt engine and new u/c I wouldn't mind it at all for what you are doing. Unless it has a nice price tag. Are you doing the same as the op with this dozer?
I would be using it with a root rake to clear land but I'll also be using a 320 Cat excavator. I got used to the luxury of a cab with air and heat so it's hard to go back to an open machine even if they are a lot cheaper.