Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 8875 hydraulic issue help!!

sixspdgto · 2019-07-02 14:16

I have a john deere 8875 and I'm having an intermittent issue with the right hydraulic drive! When I start the machine it operate as it should, but after Im working it for a bit the right drive fails completely. Happened to me yesterday at the edge or a hillside! I had 0 reverse capability from the right side, although it seemed like a had a little forward capability it wasn't an option up agains the edge of the hill! I shut it off and let it sit for about 20 minutes, when i got back in i was able to skid with the left drive to turn to the left and then drive out of there. the machine drove straight and once I got away from the edge the hydraulics on both sides were working fine in both directions. I have no other issues with this machine except a little creep that i need to adjust. Can anyone tell me what's causing this drive to just completely fail on me mid operation and then return to normal after a short period of time. Any info would be great, i have the service manual but i'm not sure where to start. I don't think it has anything to do with the chains or the wheel motor but i could be wrong! insight please!!!! I have more material to move asap and i'm afraid to lose that drive while im working again!

Replies5
  1. #1JD88752019-07-02 22:26

    Is this the first time it's done this? Or a recurring issue? Check the hydraulic fluid level? Any hydraulic leaks noticable on the machine near the drives? Also have you checked the fluid level in the chain cases? They are hex headed dipsticks that are right behind your feet as you sit in the machine. They should be properly full, but not over full, that would indicate a drive motor seal failure. My 8875 was a pretty simple reliable machine. Any of the warning functions activate when this happened? Lets start there John

  2. #2sixspdgto2019-07-03 11:35

    Thanks for the reply jd8875! It’s the first time it’s failed for any amount of time. I did notice it would mess up every once in a while but if I want back to neutral i would get it right back. This has only been happening for a week if that. The level in the reservoir is about half full. There is no full cold/hot markings on the reservoir that I have found. I don’t have dipsticks by my feet for the wheel motors, I wish I did. Some of the models didn’t have it. No warnings on the instrument panel either. No visible leaks under the seat at all. The hydro oil level hasn’t changed since I’ve owned the machine for the past 2 years!

  3. #3mg23612019-07-04 05:57

    Machine serial number?

  4. #4sixspdgto2019-07-07 15:01

    My tag is missing on the cab for the serial number. Do you know of another location I could find it?

  5. #5mg23612019-07-07 18:16

    Not that I know.