Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 9420 No Power Right side Console or Arm Rest Controls

colson04 ยท 2024-08-30 11:00

Our 9420 tractor has had a short in the hazard lights since May. I did a bit of poking around a month ago and found that when the right blinker is activated is when the 30 amp Hazard Fuse blows. When the blinker is activated with hazards on, the side you activate flashes while the opposite side goes solid. It was when the left side went solid that the fuse blows. I pulled the bulbs out and checked to make sure they weren't shorted internally. Bulbs were fine (3157 dual filament bulbs). When I probed the plug, one 3 of the prongs showed continuity, and the fourth was open. I would have expected 2 open, one for each filament, and the others as grounds. I also found an unplugged hole in the roof cap and found dirt and water could get into the top of the cab. Yesterday, I removed the mirrors and cap securing bolts, propped the cap up and found a mess of bird nest, caked in dirt, and mud. I was using a shop vac to clean it out, but then my filter failed and started spewing dust everywhere. I decided to move the tractor closer to our air hose reel to just blow it out. Thats when I found the engine starts just fine, but none of the controls on the arm rest work, and the right hand console/display does not come on. Blinkers do not work, but hazards do. AC works, blower works, exterior lights work, front and rear wipers work. I ended up dragging out another air hose and blowing all the crap out from the top of the cab and then looked for some kind of loose wire or harness connection I might have caused. There was nothing obvious there. I checked everywhere for a loose wire connection, even removed the cover from the backside of the cab and blew the accumulated mud and dirt off the ecu's and harnesses. It was a mess under there too. I never found anything. Any insight on what to look into next? I don't have any manuals for this tractor, although I am looking into getting one. We called the dealer this morning to send a Tech out, but they probably won't get here until mid to late next week as silage harvest has started and their call out volume has ramped up suddenly.

Replies6
  1. #1colson042024-08-30 11:02

    Here's some pics of what I found when I first propped the cap up.

  2. #2mg23612024-08-30 12:23

    Can't say I would be much help, but check your messages.

  3. #3colson042024-08-30 18:03

    This one has a gremlin somewhere. I reached out to a friend who worked as a dealer tech a while back. He mentioned the side windows on this series being prone to leaking and shorting the Vehicle Monitor and SCV Monitor. He recommended pulling them out and taking a look. Its one screw that removes a securing plate, then both monitors slip out. I pulled them out, no signs of moisture behind them even though it rained hard 2 days ago, unplugged them, plugged them back in, hit the key and everything came back to life. Tractor works just fine like nothing was ever wrong. My buddy is stumped, he thought maybe the vehicle monitor might be going out, or there was just a loose connection that finally slipped back enough to cut out. We don't know. I guess we'll see if it acts up come fall when start plowing after harvest with it.

  4. #4stinky642024-08-31 09:13

    I can understand critters, but how the hell did birds nest under there?

  5. #5colson042024-08-31 09:45

    There was an unplugged hole in the green roof cap, about 2" diameter. Supposed to be a rubber plug in a factory hole, but both plugs are gone. Probably that way when we bought it 5 years ago. Nobody climbs up to look at the roof top unless there are signs of water leaking inside, right?

  6. #6stinky642024-09-01 08:29

    Gotta get you some of that fancy green gorilla tape.