Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 950J Problems

Burnout ยท 2008-11-09 20:35

Hey guys, well I got me some seat time in a fairly new Deere 950J. Started a new site the other day and they sent me an experienced operator who normally runs an 8N to run our 950. He pushed about 3 blade fulls of dirt, got out and told me to stick it up a place I don't normally put things. I had another operator out.... he also refuses to run it simply because its not a Cat. I jumped in it and wow.... that hydrostat is weird. Unlike the 850 and down the decelerator pedal is just a brake for the hydrostat, it doesn't control engine rpm at all. The engine is at a solid 1650rpm all the time. Anyways, I got pushin with it for a bit and then a mechanic showed up to do some work on it. Everyone has been complaining the blade won't lift every once in awhile. Oh well. So I was pushing with it today and really workin her. Anyways I found the blade problems, all of the sudden while your pushing the blade just starts dropping uncontrollably. You try to correct and it wont lift for a good 10-15 seconds of you reefing on the lever. I was told by the foreman to unplug the blade lift solenoids in the engine compartment to bypass the electronic system, all problems solved, except the blade float and quick drop no longer work, and all blade functions work at half speed. Anybody got any clues? The mechanic replaced some pressure solenoids under the cab, they've looked at everything on the machine but can't figure it out. Other than this little problem im willing to state its the nicest mid size dozer I have ever run.

Replies7
  1. #1redline2008-11-10 02:33

    mmmm Alex, like my old boss used to always say dust is ur biggest killer of machinery. give em a good blow down and try again, or like he used to say get an aussie to operate it (he used import labour till it broke then the aussies drove it and MADE it work

  2. #2ncbschzzt2008-11-10 09:16

    wiring issue.

  3. #3Dozerboy2008-11-10 13:23

    I agree with redline the 1050 I use to run we had the blow the dust off everything every few months. Or else I had all kinds of electrical problems like I couldn't shut it down at times, float/ quick drop problems.

  4. #4Turbo218352008-11-10 14:26

    electronics are going to be the death of us.

  5. #5JDMGrading2008-11-10 18:06

    Is the 950 made by Liebherr? or just the 1050?

  6. #6Burnout2008-11-10 21:41

    She's an all Liebherr machine. A mechanic from the dealership came out today and looked at it, told us it was fune because it wasnt acting up while he was there. This problem has been haunting this dozer awhile. And they seem unable to fix it. I was told if something doesnt happen with the massive electrical problems in this machine its next jobsite is going to be Ritchie Brothers.

  7. #7ncbschzzt2008-11-11 01:16

    wiring issue