Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

liebherr 721CM Dozer Vrs Cat d3b

joe from ne ยท 2008-11-09 00:32

I have a chance to buy a Liebherr 721Cm or a Cat D3B. Don't know much about either machine. No mechanically the Liebherr is supposed to be in a little better shape and also know it's a bigger machine. And that's about all. Does anybody know much about either or both machines? I am going to be using them for drain tile work mostly. Any comments would be appreciated

Replies14
  1. #1stock2008-11-09 05:30

    Are they not the same as a john deere??

  2. #2Sparffo2008-11-09 06:41

    The 721cm is about double the size of a D3B! i would say they are quite hard to compare... But spare parts and support will most probabbly be a lot better with the cat, here in Europe Liebherr has a quite good support, but still not at CAT level... and what i heard, the parts are quite expencive? I have no idea what you do when "I am going to be using them for drain tile work mostly. " ?? so it's hard to say witch would be better for that kind of work. pictures? the 721 weight 13tonnes and is about 110hp and the D3B should be 6,5 tonnes and 65hp. the 721 has probabbly a 4 way straight blade, while the D3 has probabbly a 6 way PAT blade.

  3. #3stretch2008-11-09 09:16

    That's only for the 950 and up. Sparffo is right about support, parts usually have to come in from Germany and that takes quite a few days.

  4. #4joe from ne2008-11-09 14:26

    You guys are all right. I just don't know anyone who has a Liebherr so don't know how long you have to wait to get parts. I know there is a big dealer in Iowa that I need to call on the parts availibilty and I talked to Murphy tractor and they said they can get parts just not how soon. I have other dozer's that are bigger but this would be my small dozer. I don't like the dry clutch arrangement in the d3b but I have several Deere's so know the problems with Hydro also. One thing the Liebherr is LGP and Cat is not. We work in standing water sometimes so don't know if the lighter Cat will sink more then the Lgp or not.

  5. #5dirt digger2008-11-09 15:10

    we have a Liebherr trackloader....you don't have to worry about parts when she never breaks down :drinkup but she has 11,000 hours on her and is starting to show her age, the hydro pumps need to be rebuilt pretty bad

  6. #6WabcoMan2008-11-09 16:33

    Joe, The 721C is a long out of production machine and some parts, notably final drive components are expensive. Hydraulics on the 721C are by Linde. The 721C was replaced by the PR722 which has also now been replaced by the PR724

  7. #7aongheas.macask2008-11-12 07:23

    Hi, I recommend you check a couple of things on the PR721 before buying 1 Final drive input shaft bearings, if you pull off the brake drum on the outside of casing and find any lift then they should be replaced, if not they normally break up and fall into the f/drive and wreck all the gears. 2.Travel pump swash plate bearings are notorious for failing on these pumps this can be indicated by the machine travelling off and not stopping as soon as the joystick come back to neutral. repair or replacement is a megabucks deal Regards

  8. #8joe from ne2008-11-12 08:32

    I appreciate the input. After that last one I am pretty leary of the liebherr. Don't need any more megabuck deals. Coming in maybe but not going out LOL. Thanks

  9. #9Greg2008-11-12 11:00

    ya, same as Deere at least in the big Deere units. If you are doing tile work a 6 way blade is dandy thing to have. My opinion, buy the Cat.

  10. #10aongheas.macask2008-11-12 11:04

    OK, Glad to help, hope I didn't put you off Liebherr fulltime, the newer 2 series have a planetary f/drive and electronically regulated pumps and motors but the early f/drives were guilty of break up and had at least five updates however the latest 4 series dozers and track shovels are really good with all early problems ironed out

  11. #11Greg2008-11-12 11:47

    The D3's are pretty darn bullet proof. The only thing I have done with mine is over haul engine one time, replace rail and rollers three times and been into the steering clutches, reline brake bands. Oh, ya, forgot one other thing I have done with it. Produce tons and tons and tons of revenue with it.

  12. #12bigblueox2008-11-12 21:05

    i have a liebherr as well and parts have not been a problem. few days and they're here could have them overnighted but i'm not on that kinda time table.

  13. #13joe from ne2008-11-12 21:59

    Well they look pretty much like a deere of same era except for motor and a couple other things. Motor is a mercedes so should be much problem there. Were not talking a bunch of money for machine but? I know undercarriage on d3 is about shot and undercarriage on liebherr is 75% Liebherr has cab and d3 doesn't. Those and the different in horsepower and the Liebherr is lgp and d3 isn't. The liebherr good points are what have me looking at it at all.

  14. #14special tool2008-11-13 06:47

    John Deere doesn't make ANY yellow machines anymore, do they?????????