Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere Auxiliary Valving

SLK001 · 2024-08-27 20:13

I have a JD 290GLC with auxiliary hydraulics already plumbed. When I bought it, I thought that it had a standard thumb control foot pedal (there is currently no thumb on the machine). Turns out, the aux system is a one way. Looking through the JD parts site, I cannot find a one way foot control (but there is a two way). I need to convert to a two way system for a thumb, but I don't really know where to start since I cannot find the proper parts needed. Can a two way foot control be converted to a one way? This one has full range of motion, so there is no stop on the control. If it can be converted, can it be converted back? I haven't as of yet removed the foot control because of wasp activity in that general vicinity. I also am assuming that I'm going to have to replace the one way valve in the pit with a two way. AFAIK, JD provides little info on valving for a thumb. I was told to contact my dealer by JD HQ. I still have a request for information from my dealer pending from last December, so I'm not holding my breath for any help from a dealer. A part number, or pointing me in the right direction (web page) would be appreciated.

Replies24
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-08-27 21:48

    Are you the original owner ? Do you think this is factory auxiliary plumbing ? I have never seen a foot control pedal to operate a one way auxiliary kit. One way kits are generally solenoid operated from a push button switch on the joystick. Looking at the right hand auxiliary tube at the base of the boom, follow the hose from the base of the boom tube back and see where it terminates.

  2. #2mg23612024-08-28 05:35

    1FF290GXEEE706050 Is this your serial number? If so, it was built with front auxiliaries with two way control. Do you have the pilot operated foot valve? Did you select thumb in the work modes? If you did not use the mode selection, then the return to tank valve might be returniong oil to tank instead of giving you two way flow.

  3. #3SLK0012024-08-28 06:46

    Not the original owner. When I got her, she was configured for a hammer (I didn't get a bucket with the unit). The foot control can be seen in the pic below. All the hydraulic plumbing looked to me to be factory installed. Here's a pic of the boom plumbing. @mg2361 Yes, that's my girl. For the work mode, I just have the "BUCKET" icon showing. I don't remember seeing a "THUMB" icon, but I had bigger issues to resolve to pay that much attention to icons. It never occurred to me that the computer might be "deciding" what to enable on the machine, so I just stuck it in "BUCKET" mode and started digging. I'm not at the site right now, so scrolling thru the work mode options will have to wait until next week. All the aux lines are capped off right now, so I haven't been operating the control. I planned on this week getting what was needed for two-way control. You guys have me excited that I may already have what I needed! Next week I will peruse the work mode menu and check for that "THUMB" icon. This is a pic of my pit when I received the machine: Most of that hose is for the quick coupler (now removed). There are also grease lines from a Lincoln auto greaser that seems to have leaked all into the pit. The pit has already had one session of pressure cleaning and will need another, 'cause there was grease everywhere. Also, she had a bad hydraulic lead from a smashed O-ring on an ORFS connection that I repaired. Quite literally, there was an inch and a half of grease, oil, dirt and pig mats on the bottom of the pit when I received her.

  4. #4mg23612024-08-28 12:11

    When you choose the thumb work mode, another screen will pop up with the particular settings for that mode. Shoot a picture of that screen and post it.

  5. #5SLK0012024-08-30 16:07

    I'll be able to get pics next week (I'm currently not at the site).

  6. #6SLK0012024-09-06 13:31

    Okay, there is NO thumb option. Here's a photo of the MODE screen. There is an additional GRAPPLER mode, not shown. The manual does list a THUMB mode, but it isn't on this machine's controller version. Is there a super secret switch that needs to be thrown somewhere on this beast? I have no history on the machine. I don't know if any controller updates were ever installed. Here is the controller versions on the machine:

  7. #7Diesel Dave2024-09-07 01:02

    The Pulverizer and Crusher are both 2 way flow so select either one. I know you have a foot pedal pilot control but if you find the thumb speed is too fast, you can dial back the individual attachment flow settings in the monitor.

  8. #8mg23612024-09-08 06:19

    Highlight either the pulverizer or the crusher and press select. Post picture of the next screen.

  9. #9SLK0012024-09-13 21:30

    Here's a pic of the pulverizer screen: And here's the crusher screen: Whenever I select one of these work modes, it shows the tool on the main screen. However, when the machine is powered off, then on again, the BUCKET mode is back. Is that normal? I also found that under years of schmutz, there IS a stop on my pedal after all. It was adjusted just before the neutral position. Adjusting this stop gave me (I believe, since both lines are still capped) flow in both directions - and this was in BUCKET work mode. I've got the thumb on (mostly) and I am preparing to weld on the cylinder mount. I've got a question on welding the mount, but I'm going to start another thread on it.

  10. #10mg23612024-09-14 07:32

    Yes, but it can be changed. Which lines are capped? Do the lines from the foot valve go to ports M and N on the pilot signal manifold? I don't remember if it will or not, if you highlight the bucket in the screen in post 7, does it bring up with a similar screen as the pulverizer? Check your messages.

  11. #11SLK0012024-09-14 10:58

    I don't need this now, but how can these other work modes be made the default? I've got both lines capped at the end of the boom (for one) and at the accessory connection at the end of the dipper. This pic shows two valves on the accessory hard lines that may or may not be closed. There is also two valves on the accessory hard lines (called the Auxiliary Stop Valve) on the end of the arm that are currently closed. I don't know how the two valves operate in the above photo. Is the large hex mass just a cap and there is a valve control underneath? Or, is it the control itself and you just turn it to cut off the flow? I can't find this valve anywhere on the Deere site, so I haven't done anything with it. I also don't want to get drenched with hydraulic fluid if these aren't a valve. When I said that I thought I had flow in both directions, it was based on the sound of the engine and pumps lugging. Pushing the pedal one way gave a distinct sound, while pushing the other way gave another distinct sound. Here is a pic of the underside of the pedal. It looks to me that all the requisite lines are present. I haven't done any line tracing as of yet. There is no secondary screen for BUCKET mode. It just returns to the previous screen. Thanks for that.

  12. #12Diesel Dave2024-09-14 17:49

    The “large hex mass on the auxiliary hard lines“ shown in your top pic in post # 12 are just male thread plugs. In some hammer applications it is common to remove the plug and install an accumulator on the right hand side hard line.

  13. #13SLK0012024-09-14 20:02

    So, if I was to remove one of them, I would get sprayed with oil? I'm certainly glad that I didn't try to do anything with them earlier.

  14. #14Diesel Dave2024-09-14 20:23

    Yes very likely. It’s a about 1 1/4 inch plug, it wouldn’t have been pretty.

  15. #15mg23612024-09-15 06:52

    In the service menu, scroll to machine setting, press select. Scroll to work mode memory, press select. Your screen most likely has a zero on it. Highlight the zero, press the dial, turn the dial to change to a one, then press the dial. Turn dial to highlight the check mark at the bottom, press the dial. After the progress bar is finished, then the monitor should be set to remember the last work mode selected, meaning the next time the key is cycled it should remain on whatever you chose. I believe in the bucket mode the selector valve is defaulted to the two-way flow. Connect the lines for the thumb and give it a go. Using the procedure above to get to the machine settings menu, scroll to ATT 1 Selector valve and press select. Is it a 1 or a 0?

  16. #16SLK0012024-09-22 11:35

    After much grappling, lifting, shoving, hitting, cranking and cussing, I have finally got the thumb installed... and operating. I didn't have to do anything to the screen. I simply left it in BUCKET mode and I had two way flow. However, to me, the controls seem backwards - I push the pedal forward to open and backwards to close the thumb. I would have thought that the opposite would be true. Is this the standard control operation for a thumb (I've never had one before)? The thumb isn't COMPLETELY on, because I have one of the O-ring seals in the arm that needs to be replaced. I have the new pin in one side and the old pin in the other to hold everything to the arm. The new ring is on order and I will install it when I get it. I know that this is not optimal, but I just had to try out the thumb. It is currently back in the "installation position" (second picture) awaiting the O-ring. The arm is directly over the log and the thumb and bucket are both resting on the ground. I've done this to take most of the weight off the pins, so they are going (hopefully) to be easy to install.

  17. #17mg23612024-09-23 05:35

    Just switch the pilot hoses. Also make sure the relief pressure for the thumb cylinder barrel end is set to 2500 psi or less, or you will be bending rods.

  18. #18SLK0012024-09-23 08:13

    I take it that it would be better to swap ports M and N on pilot signal manifold? Not having a vacuum (and not wanting to drain the hydraulic tank), where would I do this to minimizing the drenching with oil? Where is that pressure relief valve? Is there a screen that shows auxiliary pressures in the service menu (I'm not near the machine right now)?

  19. #19mg23612024-09-23 11:56

    Correct. Without a vacuum you will lose some oil no matter what. The pilot lines will be a slow drain. If you follow the main auxiliary lines from the boom back to the control valve, the relief valves would be on top of the control valve above the upper hose and on the bottom of the control valve below the lower hose. In the service menu, go to monitoring, look for pump 2 delivery pressure. Activate the auxiliary (barrel end) over relief. You want approximately 17 MPa. Just double check with the thumb manufacturer for specific pressure requirements.

  20. #20SLK0012024-09-23 13:19

    I would like to. The manufacturer of Thor buckets is no where to be found - no website, no phone number or physical address. I received NOTHING from the manufacturer as to specs, instructions, etc. I've got another thread regarding Thor buckets seeking info, but there have been no responses as to contact info.

  21. #21mg23612024-09-24 04:54

    You should be safe at 2500 psi. Most thumb manufacturers I dealt with have a spec of 1700 psi with a maximum of 2500 psi. You could start at 1700 psi and pick up a load of debris. If the thumb does not hold the load, then gradually increase pressure until it does. just don't exceed 2500 psi. Curling the bucket should be able to overpower the thumb and collapse it without bending the rod.

  22. #22SLK0012024-09-24 09:31

    Thanks for that info. Is there a "pressure vs turns" spec for that valve? Would this valve be the "Auxiliary Flow Combiner Valve Check Valve"? The manual doesn't show an Auxiliary Pressure Relief Valve, per se.

  23. #23mg23612024-09-24 12:12

    Auxiliary relief is not in the manual, but the adjustment psi per turn would be the same as any other circuit relief in the manual.

  24. #24SLK0012024-09-26 11:22

    Does a large shop vac provide enough vacuum? I can construct a cover with the correct size hole for a hose, then connect the shop vac (if it will work).