Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere backhoe- What am I?

DirtyHoe ยท 2022-03-21 19:32

My friend bought some property and this backhoe may be left behind since it is not running. I've never seen a John Deere 310 backhoe that slides on a rail and I can't find one like it with an internet search. How does it move back and forth horizontally? I did not find a rack and pinion system or any obvious way to move it back and forth. Any guess as to the year of the machine? I think the only thing of value may be the Amulet mechanical thumb. Steve

Replies4
  1. #1Bumpsteer2022-03-21 20:49

    European version. Side shifters are the norm across the big pond. Deere offered both versions. Ed

  2. #2Steve Frazier2022-03-21 21:09

    I owned one on a 410 chassis. The hoe is clamped to the bar by hydraulic pressure. Somewhere on the valve tower there will be a very short stubby lever that rotates, when it is straight out it releases the pressure on the bar. Then you swing the boom left or right and push/slide the boom hub to the desired location. They're good for digging next to foundations and you can dig a rectangular hole for a septic tank without moving the machine. Swing is a hydraulic motor instead of cylinders and is somewhat weaker. The stabilizers are a little less stabilizing too. I had mine for about 15 years and did a tremendous amount of work with it.

  3. #3cuttin edge2022-03-22 07:48

    Good set of recaps on the back of her. They might come apart if she's been sitting long.

  4. #4DirtyHoe2022-03-22 11:12

    Are these considered rare in the US? Would most buyers want to stay away from them? I finally found it on the JD parts website. It's called a 9500 series backhoe. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/68895/referrer/navigation/pgId/165959 Good observation on the tires cutting edge.