Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere Bison

ConstSite ยท 2007-12-15 23:25

So what ever happened with Deere's Bison? http://sbonner.smugmug.com/gallery/1248207#58519111 - Christopher

Replies31
  1. #1bobcat ron2007-12-16 12:34

    I remember seeing that too, wonder what they were thinking?

  2. #2Northart2007-12-16 16:52

    JD Bison ? Of what useful purpose ? :beatsme A test bed for ideas ? :beatsme

  3. #3Northart2007-12-16 17:06

    Bison Engineer ? The same engineer designed these also.:drinkup Cheers :drinkup LOL

  4. #4bobcat ron2007-12-16 18:39

    What is up with the first pic???? Is that PhotoChopped?

  5. #5DirtHauler2007-12-16 18:50

    Is this the same machine we talked about here?

  6. #6ConstSite2007-12-16 23:02

    Yep. I just have not heard anything about it for awhile. I was seeing if there was anything new. - Christopher

  7. #7Tigerotor77W2007-12-17 13:59

    You know what the funny thing is... the photo with the Bison side-view is no longer there.

  8. #8Northart2007-12-17 15:50

    Bison Photo ? Well the photo was on a Photographers web site , so maybe he sold the photo, rights and all ?? Must of been of some interest to somebody . Of particular interest is the cooling system, how is the radiator positioned ? From viewing the engine screens, looks like a cross flow. I've read all the conversations posted previously, and most everyone has the same, ? , What's it's true purpose ? :beatsme To me it's a test bed to explore concepts, letting other's find a purpose for it in the marketplace .

  9. #9DirtHauler2007-12-17 19:45

    Does anyone still make rubber tired dozers? only ones I have seen around here were on big dirt jobs where there were a ton of belly dumps.

  10. #10ConstSite2007-12-17 19:51

    98 percent of the photos from the Deere facility are gone. - Christopher

  11. #11ConstSite2007-12-17 21:09

    Come to think of it, funny how that happened... I remember someone specific complaining about a 14M prototype photo that I had posted...but that's another story. But it sure looks to have happened again. - Christopher

  12. #12Tigerotor77W2007-12-17 21:15

    I was going to make the conspiracy theory that Deere asked the photographer to have them removed... looks like I was right.

  13. #13ConstSite2007-12-17 21:29

    I wasn't going there. - Christopher

  14. #14EquipmentEditor2008-02-14 14:31

    Bison at Conexpo Very strong indications the Bison will be unveiled at Conexpo/Con-Agg next month. Don't know if that's what it will be called, but you might see it in Vegas.

  15. #15Geno7952008-02-21 21:00

    It will definately be unveiled at Con Expo. Geno

  16. #16farm_boy2008-02-21 23:33

    You sound pretty sure of yourself there Geno:cool2. Care to let the rest of us in on details??:naughty

  17. #17iron kid2008-02-22 09:35

    i live in dubuque were the bison is made and a friend of mine does the testing and gave me a ride and showed me the prototypes. i would like to see a three point on the back. but the ag side of deere thinks that is a bad move. might cut into their sales. i seen it plowing snow it was cool to wacth, thing moves out

  18. #18DLMKA2008-02-22 10:41

    Do you know anything about it? I'm assuming hydrostatic drive. What kind of power rating?

  19. #19Fieldman122008-02-23 11:27

    I think this is what your looking for. Wait for it to load. http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons...e.html?location=jdhome&tm=corp&link=const_img

  20. #20Geno7952008-02-23 20:48

    Farm Boy, A Deere guy told me it would be there and on Deere Construction website they have a picture of it covered up. I am not sure of the use of these but I guess they know what they are doing ?? Geno

  21. #21Deereman2008-03-07 21:40

    I wonder?? I'm also wondering when the 944J or K or whater they call it will be released. Hopefully this time. Anyone heard the same???

  22. #22joispoi2008-03-08 12:36

    lol I was wonder how I could add ac to my machine...

  23. #23CEwriter2008-03-12 03:23

    764 high-speed dozer unveiled today at CONEXPO/CON-AGG. Press conference is tomorrow, so I will have more details then. Couple of details stuck in my head: ~200 horsepower; 18-mph transport speed, blue-tops to +-1/8 inch at 6 mph; Camoplast rubber-track systems. Video should be on the list at http://www.constructionequipment.com/index.asp?layout=videositeTOC tomorrow as well. L

  24. #24Northart2008-03-12 04:00

    Grade accuracy ? Hello CE Writer, Grading accuracy at 6 mph of +or- of 1/8" is total crap ! Total BS ! LOL Only graders can achieve that with patience ! With 95+% compaction ! Put a dozer type blade out there on hard compacted aggregate and it will slide to kingdom come. Sorry to deflate the ballyhoo !

  25. #25Tigerotor77W2008-03-12 08:58

    Maybe only graders could get that type of accuracy because nothing like this machine has ever existed.

  26. #26bobcat ron2008-03-12 09:11

    Camoplast seems to be a big name, I wonder if Cat will use their system on the next MTL other than the ASV system?

  27. #27EquipmentEditor2008-03-12 10:41

    The Unveil Here's a video of the unveiling ceremony. More footage to come.... http://www.constructionequipment.com/index.asp?layout=videositeTOC

  28. #28bobcat ron2008-03-12 19:17

    Can you spell J-O-K-E?

  29. #29Tanstaafl2008-03-12 19:46

    Found some pictures/info of it from the John Deere Photo Album on the JD website. Gallery is linked here . Reading some of the slides, it appears that they are maybe going to try and use it to compete with the graders. One of the slides said something along the lines of: Speed of a grader with the flotation of a dozer. Another of the slides said they were targeting site development and road building contractors. Interesting. They've obviously got demand for it somewhere. Also, I can't believe the number of people that are ragging on this thing before anyone gets their hands in it. Of course it's not going to perform well in rock or push mountains of material. You wouldn't use a D11 to build house pads in a small subdivision would you? If it flops in two years, it's a mistake. Or it could be an amazing machine, and in two years there will be a waiting list to get one.

  30. #30pushcat2008-03-12 20:57

    That thing would fit my needs perfectly. About all I do all summer is fine grade, most of the time in less than perfect conditions. A lot of times I have to resort to using a multi-terrain loader because the subgrade won't withstand a trackloader or even a dozer. Put a GPS or even a laser grade system on it and it would be the cat's pajamas. Only problem is it's not a Cat.

  31. #31Tanstaafl2008-03-12 21:55

    If it's successful I'd bet that Cat comes out with something similar in about two years. I bet Cat has got something in the rough concept stage right now. Might not have an actual prototype fabricated at the moment, but somewhere there is a small team of engineers working on one.