Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere CTL 332

AT&SW ยท 2011-11-12 13:36

I am trying to disassemble to final drive on a John Deere CTL 332. the seals are leaking. After attempting to get the sungear to separate from the drive housing with no success I brought it to the dealer they stated that it could not be separated although they sold us the seal kit for it. Here is a link to JD website with parts diagram. Thank you for any help. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Replies5
  1. #1ABruso2014-03-18 20:08

    How did the re sealing go on the drive? I have my final drive sitting in the back of my car right now. About to start the dissassembly, any advice?

  2. #2JNB2014-03-18 21:50

    Good luck. Some Deere, CAT and CASE ctl's use the same final. If it has (for the lack of a better term) an hourglass looking casting around one of the drain plugs, it's a Bonfiglioli. Mine's leaking on my TR320. After going round and round with CASE, they won't work on it, only replace it. Neither the local CAT or Deere shops will pull it apart either. The gear shafts are pressed in and the gears have a set preload kinda like setting up a ring and pinion in a truck or car. What I've realized is that all of these shops are apparently a bunch of parts changers. I can change out parts! I'm gonna spend $3300 for a rebuilt one and do it myself.

  3. #3Lindsey972014-03-18 23:23

    you might consider giving these guys a call. S&D hydraulics, 2508 s purdue ave, okc, ok 73128. 877-703-4137 I recently bought a new breaker hammer which wouldn't function. long story short, these guys worked with me and I bought a used kent upon receiving their advice. while visiting their shop, I learned that they can repair or get parts for most final drives for CTL's, even if the parts aren't available from the oem. very impressed with these folks and they didn't make a dime off of me.

  4. #4ABruso2014-03-24 14:47

    Hi all, heres an update. To recap, I have a JD 332 CTL that started leaking gear oil out of the left side final drive motor. This leak occurred 10 minutes after I replaced a hydraulic line that had blown to this same drive motor. I brought it to the JD dealer could not service the seal that needed to be replaced because it was behind a nut that could not be removed. The nut in question is about 8 inchs in diameter and is before you get to the bearings. I spoke with a number of shops that ya'll listed above. One other one I found is.. http://www.surplusindustrialsales.com/ in Ohio. He said he could do the job for $1200. He said that he would dremmel the nut off to get to the seal, and that he had a source for new nuts to replace it during the rebuild. He also said that the bearings on these drives go around 1500 hours, and he has not been able to find a replacement for them. So hopefully that info will help someone. I ended up buying a new drive motor (it hasn't arrived yet). I have a question. What is the connection between the hydraulic line feeding the drive motor blowing (it blew when I hit a rock with the bucket), me replacing the hose, running the machine for 10 mins, then the motor starts leaking the gear oil. The machine has 2000 hours on it, and when I changed the hose, it appeared that it had been replaced before since it was a hose rated for 4000 psi, rather than the JD spec'ed 6000psi hose. Thoughts? I don't want to put on this new motor and have the machine blow its seal too.

  5. #5Duster2015-09-03 10:25

    Is there a best gear oil to use in the final drive? these get very hot and when you drain the used oil it looks and smells very"used". Change mine at 250 hrs.