There is a 1968 D400 backhoe for sale near me on Craigslist. Anyone on here know anything about this model? The ad says that it runs and works well, for what that is worth. I don't really want that old of a machine, but if I could get it cheap enough I might be interested. It would just be used as a farm hoe.
Looks like a money pit to me. No cab and you live in Oregon . Lots of repairs on the boom. New tires on the rear and it is put up for sale makes me wonder why. $7500 is an insane asking price, at least in my world. Oh , it says OBO ! Spend a little more and move up to a John Deere 310 series with a cab. I hope you don't mind if I post link to the ad. It will enable other members here to evaluate it. https://medford.craigslist.org/hvo/d/merlin-backhoe-extendahoe/6929289667.html
No problem. And yes, $7,500 is waaaaay too much. The posting has been up for a while. I am thinking about $3,000, if it is in really good shape. An offer that much less than his asking price might offend him, but I've offended people before, and probably will again. Lol
Worst he can do is say no but may make a reasonable counter offer depending on how bad he wants to sell it. Around half what he's asking might be OK if you got to try it out for an hour or so. Still good to look around and see what else is available. A lot of times talking to the seller lets you know if they are somewhat honest or trying to pass off a bunch of BS. The tires are worth around $1000.